* [dpdk-users] Why testpmd fails to start in VM while l2fwd works in the same VM?
@ 2016-08-25 17:28 Charlie Li
From: Charlie Li @ 2016-08-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

My host and VM both are running Fedora 23.

In the host, DPDK (testpmd, l2fwd and l3fwd) works fine.

Then I set up OVS with DPDK and pass two (dpdkvhostuser) ports to the VM.

In the VM, l2fwd works fine, but testpmd fails to start. Pleas see the
attached screenshot of the VM with error messages.

Has anybody seen similar issue in the VM?

Thanks,

Charlie

* Re: [dpdk-users] Why testpmd fails to start in VM while l2fwd works in the same VM?
@ 2016-08-26  7:12 ` Shreyansh Jain
From: Shreyansh Jain @ 2016-08-26  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charlie Li; +Cc: users

Hi Charlie,

I think the attachment has been scrubbed - or at least I haven't received it.
Would it be possible to directly dump the error in email (as text)? Or, link the image to an external image repo.

> Has anybody seen similar issue in the VM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

-
Shreyansh

* Re: [dpdk-users] Why testpmd fails to start in VM while l2fwd works in the same VM?
@ 2016-08-26  9:55 ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2016-08-26  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charlie Li, users

Hi Charlie,

I do not know how to run testpmd. Just a hint, you need to add " --txqflags=0xf00 --disable-hw-vlan" when starting testpmd.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

@ 2016-08-26 17:58   ` Charlie Li
From: Charlie Li @ 2016-08-26 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng; +Cc: users

Thanks Jianfeng,

After adding " --txqflags=0xf00 --disable-hw-vlan", testpmd starts to work
for me.

My follow-up is question is -

Why these flags are required in the VM  while not required in the host?

Regards,
Charlie

@ 2016-08-29  5:29     ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2016-08-29  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charlie Li; +Cc: users

These flags are used to compose the configuration, which will be passed
as parameter to rte_dev_configure(). And by default in testpmd, hw-vlan
is enabled, which is not supported by virtio device but can be supported
by other hardware devices.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

@ 2016-08-29 15:52       ` Charlie Li