* [dpdk-users] how to Read(Write) from(to) via lcores in dpdk regardless of NIC
@ 2016-03-07 20:45 Mahdi Moradmand Badie
From: Mahdi Moradmand Badie @ 2016-03-07 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev

Dear All,
I am Mahdi and I am new in DPDK,
I wanna generate for example 3 different packets in core0 as master write
it to share memory (L3), then core1 as slave read this packets, change them
with for example function1 and write again in share memory (L3) and finally
check the result with whatever I expect.
The most important thing is that I don't wanna use NIC and I don't know for
working with cores how I can write/read to/from them, I mean with which
template and sequence???
Thanks in advance,

* Re: [dpdk-users] how to Read(Write) from(to) via lcores in dpdk regardless of NIC
@ 2016-03-08  4:56 ` Hamed Zaghaghi
From: Hamed Zaghaghi @ 2016-03-08  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahdi Moradmand Badie, users, dev

Hi Mahdi,

Why do you want to use DPDK when you don't use NIC? You can do what you
want outside of DPDK.

Regards,
Hamed Zaghaghi

@ 2016-03-08  5:15   ` Mahdi Moradmand Badie
From: Mahdi Moradmand Badie @ 2016-03-08  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hamed Zaghaghi; +Cc: dev, users

Dear Hamed,

First of all thank you so much for your kindly reply,

It's the primary part of the big project, in order to be more familiar with
DPDK,
I have to implement the mentioned framework by use of DPDK,
And finally we wanna implement the cache locking approach (via help of
features like Cache Allocation Technology(CAT), Cache Monitoring Technology
(CMT)) in Xeon processor (my supervisor told me this simple exercise
will be helpful to do the final part) in such a way we could dedicate a
specific part of shared memory (L3) to each core which the other don't
access to it.
Obviously using of DPDK with Xeon which both are from "Intel", is
considered as strength point.

I hope this was more clear :)

--
M@hdi Mor@dm@nd B@die

* Re: [dpdk-users] how to Read(Write) from(to) via lcores in dpdk regardless of NIC
@ 2016-03-08  5:35     ` Hamed Zaghaghi
From: Hamed Zaghaghi @ 2016-03-08  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahdi Moradmand Badie; +Cc: dev, users

Hi,

If I understood well you need to do these tasks:
1. Packet crafting (I think that DPDK has no functions for this task)
2. Store packets (DPDK has (rte_mbuf)[
http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__mbuf_8h.html])
3. Share between lcores (DPDK offers rte_ring)

@ 2016-03-08  5:41       ` Mahdi Moradmand Badie
From: Mahdi Moradmand Badie @ 2016-03-08  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hamed Zaghaghi; +Cc: dev, users

I wanna create for example 3 different packets in core_0 as master and
store them one by one in share memory(rte_ring),
then the core_1 as slave read them and do function on them (ex. P1+P2+P3)
and again store in share memory, finally the core_0 read the packets from
share memory and compare them with whatever expected :)

--
M@hdi Mor@dm@nd B@die

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] how to Read(Write) from(to) via lcores in dpdk regardless of NIC
@ 2016-03-08  8:17         ` Andriy Berestovskyy
       [not found]           ` <CAM=H7wdr5mYBeKunk2+aOE_6W2z8VoV1YjiwAsdj_dUtV4D1wQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Andriy Berestovskyy @ 2016-03-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahdi Moradmand Badie; +Cc: users

Hi Mahdi,
Looks like the DPDK's rte_distributor is the right tool for your task.
Please have a look at:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/packet_distrib_lib.html

There is also the Distributor Sample Application in DPDK:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/dist_app.html

Andriy

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Mahdi Moradmand Badie

--
Andriy Berestovskyy

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] how to Read(Write) from(to) via lcores in dpdk regardless of NIC
       [not found]             ` <CAM=H7wdgkmAoFaf+vtr4Zk4w1DZLWNdVXTSX4pWuPVj+VzxXDA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-03-08 21:49               ` Mahdi Moradmand Badie
From: Mahdi Moradmand Badie @ 2016-03-08 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Another issue, ;)
How I could access to the share memory cache of lcores (L3), the rte_ring
is exactly that??

--

@ 2016-03-09 10:26                 ` Andriy Berestovskyy
       [not found]                   ` <CAM=H7weKrVPLm89E-Nwp-kvF39dTBukwwUOo_z+x=CeOhQgkOQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Andriy Berestovskyy @ 2016-03-09 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahdi Moradmand Badie; +Cc: users

Mahdi,
1. Sure, the rte_ring is another good way to communicate between the
lcores. If you have just one "worker" lcore or you do not care about
packet ordering, you might prefer using rte_ring over the
rte_distributor.

2. For the simplicity, you might assume that any of your shared
structures (rte_ring or rte_distributor) eventually get into the
cache.

Andriy

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Mahdi Moradmand Badie

--
Andriy Berestovskyy

@ 2016-03-23 10:49                     ` Andriy Berestovskyy
From: Andriy Berestovskyy @ 2016-03-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahdi Moradmand Badie; +Cc: users

Hi Mahdi,
Good to hear that you have coped with your task! ;)

CPU caches are transparent, you cannot access them directly. You might
assume that rte_ring you use is actually in a shared cache. So,
basically, there is nothing to replace, you are done.

You might want to read the big picture description of CPU caches in
this article:
http://lwn.net/Articles/252125/

Andriy

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Mahdi Moradmand Badie

--
Andriy Berestovskyy