* [dpdk-users] RSS hash based on L2 (src mac, dst mac) on Intel 82599 NICs
@ 2018-12-18 17:02 Alex Kiselev
From: Alex Kiselev @ 2018-12-18 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi.

Is it possible to configure Intel 82599 NICs RSS function to calculate rss hash value
based on only the L2 src address and dst address for nonIp packets?

It's possible to do so with Intel x710 cards, but I haven't found the same feature
for 82599. Have I missed something? Or it's a unique feature available only on x710
cards?

Thanks.

--
Alex

* Re: [dpdk-users] RSS hash based on L2 (src mac, dst mac) on Intel 82599 NICs
@ 2018-12-18 18:36 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-12-18 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kiselev; +Cc: users

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:02:06 +0300
Alex Kiselev <alex@therouter.net> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to configure Intel 82599 NICs RSS function to calculate rss hash value
> based on only the L2 src address and dst address for nonIp packets?
>
> It's possible to do so with Intel x710 cards, but I haven't found the same feature
> for 82599. Have I missed something? Or it's a unique feature available only on x710
> cards?
>
> Thanks.

In DPDK this is ETH_RSS_L2_PAYLOAD.
The ixgbe driver does not list this is a supported offload type:

#define IXGBE_RSS_OFFLOAD_ALL ( \
	ETH_RSS_IPV4 | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV4_TCP | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV4_UDP | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6 | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV6_TCP | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV6_UDP | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6_EX | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6_TCP_EX | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6_UDP_EX)

The Linux driver does not appear to support this either.

* Re: [dpdk-users] RSS hash based on L2 (src mac, dst mac) on Intel 82599 NICs
@ 2018-12-18 18:45   ` Alex Kiselev
From: Alex Kiselev @ 2018-12-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

I think I should describe the problem I am trying to solve.
I am looking for a way to use RSS for PPPoE traffic.
Using RSS calculation based on L2 is one way. It can be
done using specific x710 API. And it looks like the DDP
is event a better way to do so, but it's also supported
only on intel 700 series NICs. So, I am looking for
a solution to spread PPPoE flows to different queues
on x520 or mellanox NICs.