* [dpdk-users]  How to specify packet size of testpmd
@ 2020-07-09  9:25 Xu, Chenjie
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-09  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,
Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test the network performance?

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
@ 2020-07-09  9:50 ` Van Haaren, Harry
From: Van Haaren, Harry @ 2020-07-09  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Cliff Burdick @ 2020-07-09 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie; +Cc: users

Use "set txpkts" to set the packet size.

@ 2020-07-10  8:58   ` Xu, Chenjie
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-10  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Haaren, Harry, users

Hi Harry,
Thank you for your email! I'm trying to use pktgen now. Do you know which command should be used to specify the packet size for pktgen?

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

> Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test
> the network performance?

Hi,

Usually, testpmd just forwards the packets it receives. Testpmd itself is not a "proper" traffic generator, but it does have some capabilities to send some traffic before starting its rx-tx behavior.

The command is "start tx_first" and this will by default use a small packet size.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/testpmd_app_ug/testpmd_funcs.html#start-tx-first

There are a number of more powerful DPDK based traffic generators available, if you require more features. Examples are pktgen, trex, moongen.

Of course, it is also possible to modify a sample application like example/skeleton to send a specific traffic type, as your particular benchmarking might require.

> Best Regards,
> Xu, Chenjie

Hope that helps, -Harry

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
@ 2020-07-10  9:06   ` Xu, Chenjie
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-10  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Burdick; +Cc: users

Hi Cliff,
Thank you for your reply! I have tried “set txpkts” but meet the following problem:
testpmd> set txpkts 128
nb segments per TX packets=1 >= nb_txd=0 - ignored

And I’m trying to use pktgen now.

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

@ 2020-07-10  9:10     ` Mishal Shah
From: Mishal Shah @ 2020-07-10  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie; +Cc: Van Haaren, Harry, users

Hi,

You can use the set <portlist> size <value> command on pktgen command
line to set the packet size. If you're using Lua script for more
customizations/situations, you can use the following command: pktgen.set(port,
"size", pktSize);

The entire list of commands can be found at
https://pktgen-dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/latest/commands.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mishal

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
@ 2020-07-10  9:15       ` Xu, Chenjie
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-10  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mishal Shah; +Cc: Van Haaren, Harry, users

Hi Mishal,
“set <portlist> size <value>” works weel. Thank you so much!

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

@ 2020-07-11  1:49     ` Johnson, Brian
From: Johnson, Brian @ 2020-07-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie; +Cc: Cliff Burdick, users

Add --rxd 1024 --txd 1024 to the command after -- and the error will go away. You have to set up the size before launching testpmd and using set txpkts 128

Sent from my iPhone