* error: No probed ethernet devices
@ 2023-08-02 13:29 FRANCISCO ARNALDO BOIX MARTINEZ
From: FRANCISCO ARNALDO BOIX MARTINEZ @ 2023-08-02 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev

Hi team,

I am trying to run dpdk-testpmd utility, but I am not able to make it work even though I have already used dpdk-devbind.py utility. I haven't been able to find the solution yet, could you please help me?

I get the following output while executing ./usertools/dpdk-devbind.py -s:

Network devices using kernel driver
===================================
0000:04:00.0 'RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 8168' if=enp4s0 drv=r8169 unused=vfio-pci *Active*

No 'Baseband' devices detected
==============================

No 'Crypto' devices detected
============================

No 'DMA' devices detected
=========================

No 'Eventdev' devices detected
==============================

No 'Mempool' devices detected
=============================

No 'Compress' devices detected
==============================

No 'Misc (rawdev)' devices detected
===================================

No 'Regex' devices detected
===========================

No 'ML' devices detected
========================

In the same way, this is the output I get when I execute sudo dpdk-testpmd -l 0-3 -n 4 -- -i --portmask=0x1 --nb-cores=2:

EAL: Detected CPU lcores: 12
EAL: Detected NUMA nodes: 1
EAL: Detected static linkage of DPDK
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'PA'
EAL: VFIO support initialized
TELEMETRY: No legacy callbacks, legacy socket not created
testpmd: No probed ethernet devices
testpmd: create a new mbuf pool <mb_pool_0>: n=235456, size=2176, socket=0
testpmd: preferred mempool ops selected: ring_mp_mc
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
  Cause: Creation of mbuf pool for socket 0 failed: Cannot allocate memory

Thanks in advance

-------
Quico Boix
Facultad de Informática, Universidad de Murcia

* Re: error: No probed ethernet devices
@ 2023-08-03  8:06 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2023-08-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FRANCISCO ARNALDO BOIX MARTINEZ; +Cc: users, dev

On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 01:29:03PM +0000, FRANCISCO ARNALDO BOIX MARTINEZ wrote:
>    Hi team,
>
>    I am trying to run dpdk-testpmd utility, but I am not able to make it
>    work even though I have already used dpdk-devbind.py utility. I haven't
>    been able to find the solution yet, could you please help me?
>
>    I get the following output while executing ./usertools/dpdk-devbind.py
>    -s:
>
>    Network devices using kernel driver
>    ===================================
>    0000:04:00.0 'RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>    8168' if=enp4s0 drv=r8169 unused=vfio-pci *Active*

This indicates that you have only a single network card port, which is
bound to the kernel for kernel use. It's also a device which I don't
believe we have drivers for in DPDK - so even if you did unbind it (and
lose network connectivity to your board - it still likely wouldn't be
usable with DPDK.

I therefore think you need to add some supported network devices to your
system to use DPDK. You generally need to keep one network port for kernel
use and use DPDK on the rest. The only exception is if you plan on using
DPDK through af_xdp or af_packet or similar driver that takes packets from
a kernel-connected port.

Regards,
/Bruce