* [dpdk-users] Unable to capture VLAN tagged Mcast packets using DPDK
@ 2021-05-05  5:56 Ramandeep Sandhu
From: Ramandeep Sandhu @ 2021-05-05  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello Experts,

We are capturing Multicast UDP streams using DPDK and need help with
capturing the multicast packets coming on a VLAN trunk port. The
pNIC(Intel x710) on our Linux server is connected to a trunk port on the
switch and is thus receiving packets from 2 VLANs. Our Linux server has
CentOS installed on the bare metal (/no hypervisor is being used/).

In normal case of non-VLAN traffic, we bind the physical NIC with DPDK
and create a KNI port(with a well defined IP) for it (/KNI is required
for making mutlicast join request and without KNI port we are not able
to make join requests/).

enter image description here <https://i.stack.imgur.com/Szody.png>

For VLAN traffic, the physical port of our server is connected to a
trunk port on the switch. On the Linux server, we have configured two
VLAN interfaces pNIC.10 and pNIC.20 receiving packets from VLAN 10 and
20 respectively
(/referredhttps://www.linuxtechi.com/vlan-tagged-nic-ethernet-card-centos-rhel-servers/
<https://www.linuxtechi.com/vlan-tagged-nic-ethernet-card-centos-rhel-servers/>/).

The problem we are facing is that we are unable to capture multicast
packets over a VLAN tagged port that has data coming from multiple
VLANs. Needless to say, the two VLANs have different subnets. We want to
capture multicast data coming from both 172.16.1.x and 172.16.2.x using
a single physical port on our Intel x710 NIC.

In this case, we still need to bind the physical port with DPDK as
binding happens for a PCI device id (/the VLAN IFs do not have a PCI
id/). However, we are not able to figure out what and how many KNI ports
to create. Have tried creating two KNI ports - one per VLAN ID and this
did not work for us. The KNI ports could not be enabled in this case.

Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

--
Thanks & Regards

Ramandeep Sandhu
Digital Media Group, Interra Systems.
Email : rsandhu@interrasystems.com
Ph : +91-9810980200, skype : san.raman
http://www.interrasystems.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-05-05  5:56 UTC | newest]