* [dpdk-users] Questions on ipsec-secgw sample application and DPDK’s crypto framework
@ 2016-05-17  9:10 Chinmaya Dwibedy
From: Chinmaya Dwibedy @ 2016-05-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

Can the ipsec-secgw sample application (
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/examples/ipsec-secgw) be run on VM which
has access to Intel® QuickAssist Technology hardware device?  Please
clarify.  Note: both the DPDK package and the QuickAssist Technology
Software Library installed on this VM.

What I understand, we need not to call Intel QuickAssist Technology
Cryptographic API () for crypto operation (encryption, decryption,
authentication processing). The DPDK’s crypto framework and QAT PMD (driver
for Intel’s QuickAssist Technology device) takes care of them. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Chinmaya

* Re: [dpdk-users] Questions on ipsec-secgw sample application and DPDK’s crypto framework
@ 2016-05-17 10:57 ` Sergio Gonzalez Monroy
From: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy @ 2016-05-17 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chinmaya Dwibedy; +Cc: users

Hi,

IPSec app can run with or without QAT.
DPDK Cryptodev also has Software encryption for those platforms without
Crypto Hardware offloads.
AES-NI MB and GCM PMDs are examples of Software Cryptodevs.

I suggest that you read the following documentation for more details:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/cryptodevs/index.html

To run DPDK IPSec app in a VM using QAT PMD, at the moment you would
need a Linux kernel 4.4+, create your QAT VFs, then assign the VFs to
your VM.

If you are having problems, I would recommend that you run on the host
first if possible.

Sergio