* 【rte_malloc & free】the issue of crashing at malloc_elem_free
@ 2022-06-09  9:17 halsey.pian
From: halsey.pian @ 2022-06-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: halsey.pian

Dear All,

I am suffering an crash issue recently. My app based on SPDK/DPDK uses rte_malloc_socket and rte_free to use hugepage feature in multi-threads and async programming environment.

Unfortunately, It would crashed sometimes, and I found that it usually crashed caused by the element's size = 0 in function malloc_elem_free at line 570 in file malloc_elem.c during calling rte_free, the call stack is as the attachment.

I am not sure if I miss some information related async and multi-thread programing using DPDK rte_malloc module.

BTW, it works fine when I switch to kernel's malloc/free.

OS: Fedora 32
DPDK Version: 21.05.0

Could you please provide some information or advices? Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Halsey Pian

[-- Attachment #2: 1654765663(1).png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 215388 bytes --]

* Re: 【rte_malloc & free】the issue of crashing at malloc_elem_free
@ 2022-06-09 15:24 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-06-09 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: halsey.pian; +Cc: dev

On Thu, 9 Jun 2022 09:17:33 +0000
"halsey.pian@longsys.com" <halsey.pian@longsys.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am suffering an crash issue recently. My app based on SPDK/DPDK uses rte_malloc_socket and rte_free to use hugepage feature in multi-threads and async programming environment.
>
> Unfortunately, It would crashed sometimes, and I found that it usually crashed caused by the element's size = 0 in function malloc_elem_free at line 570 in file malloc_elem.c during calling rte_free, the call stack is as the attachment.
>
> I am not sure if I miss some information related async and multi-thread programing using DPDK rte_malloc module.
>
> BTW, it works fine when I switch to kernel's malloc/free.

Does it work if you enable address sanitizer and use regular glibc malloc/free?
What about with valgrind?
You can also build DPDK with RTE_MALLOC_DEBUG which adds more checks for clobbering.

I suspect your code is writing outside the allocated space or has a use after free.