* [dpdk-dev] /run/dpdk cleanup
@ 2019-07-08 15:00 Shubhachint, Chaitanya
From: Shubhachint, Chaitanya @ 2019-07-08 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

I run my dpdk applications with "file-prefix" option, so I can run them concurrently. I see that it creates a runtime directory under /var/run/dpdk. This directory still persists after the application has terminated. The code calls rte_eal_cleanup before exiting but that doesn't seem to remove the directory and its content. In my setup I have to consistently bring my applications up, run then for short period and terminate them, each application run picks a new file-prefix, thus creating new directory under /var/run/dpdk. After enough number of runs the tempfs partition fills up and results into rte_eal_init failure.
Is there a cleanup routine or sequence I need to implement to unlink this directory? Your help is appreciated.

Chaitanya.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] /run/dpdk cleanup
@ 2019-07-08 15:41 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-07-08 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shubhachint, Chaitanya; +Cc: dev

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 15:00:43 +0000
"Shubhachint, Chaitanya" <Chaitanya.Shubhachint@netscout.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I run my dpdk applications with "file-prefix" option, so I can run them concurrently. I see that it creates a runtime directory under /var/run/dpdk. This directory still persists after the application has terminated. The code calls rte_eal_cleanup before exiting but that doesn't seem to remove the directory and its content. In my setup I have to consistently bring my applications up, run then for short period and terminate them, each application run picks a new file-prefix, thus creating new directory under /var/run/dpdk. After enough number of runs the tempfs partition fills up and results into rte_eal_init failure.
> Is there a cleanup routine or sequence I need to implement to unlink this directory? Your help is appreciated.
>
> Chaitanya.

It would be better if DPDK used Unix domain abstract address everywhere.
The abstract form of address does not show up in file system and is automatically removed on process exit (close).

* Re: [dpdk-dev] /run/dpdk cleanup
@ 2019-07-09  9:58 ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2019-07-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shubhachint, Chaitanya, dev

On 08-Jul-19 4:00 PM, Shubhachint, Chaitanya wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run my dpdk applications with "file-prefix" option, so I can run them concurrently. I see that it creates a runtime directory under /var/run/dpdk. This directory still persists after the application has terminated. The code calls rte_eal_cleanup before exiting but that doesn't seem to remove the directory and its content. In my setup I have to consistently bring my applications up, run then for short period and terminate them, each application run picks a new file-prefix, thus creating new directory under /var/run/dpdk. After enough number of runs the tempfs partition fills up and results into rte_eal_init failure.
> Is there a cleanup routine or sequence I need to implement to unlink this directory? Your help is appreciated.
>
> Chaitanya.

This is a natural consequence of how our multiprocessing works. Running
a secondary process *after* primary has already exited is a supported
use-case (meaning, primary won't clean up *everything* after itself -
only things that are not shared), and secondary processes may be running
as well (meaning, we cannot remove shared data because it may be used by
other processes).

I don't think it's possible to do this from within DPDK. Of course, you
could always use --in-memory mode if you don't use secondary processes.

Anatoly