test suite reviews and discussions
* Skip tests on Depends-on tag
@ 2023-09-04 10:02 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2023-09-04 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Hassick; +Cc: thomas, ci, dts

Hi Adam,

I'm not sure you are the right person to send this suggestion to; if not, please forward to whoever might be.

The CI cannot recognize the "Depends-on" tag. So all the checks except "ci/checkpatch" will fail.

Since this is the expected behavior, perhaps the CI could skip these checks if a patch contains the "Depends-on" tag?

Here's an example:
https://patchwork.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20230904092632.12675-1-mb@smartsharesystems.com/

It's not important, just a suggestion.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
-Morten Brørup

* Re: Skip tests on Depends-on tag
@ 2023-09-05  1:22 ` Patrick Robb
From: Patrick Robb @ 2023-09-05  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: Adam Hassick, thomas, ci, dts

Hi Morten,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinking the community lab should move
to an apply-patchset process like:
    -if commit message contains "depends-on", then:
        -get depends-on series id
        -get referenced patch series and attempt to apply, and if
successful then attempt to apply original patch on that.
        -run testing

I see that the github-robot reported a PASS, so they might already be doing
this. I'll raise it during the next CI meeting and see what the ci group
thinks or if they've discussed this before. Maybe there are some issues
with this which I'm not thinking of, but we'll see what the group thinks.

Also yes Adam is a good person to email for community lab improvements. Me
and Lincoln Lavoie as Community Lab managers are also good.

* Re: Skip tests on Depends-on tag
@ 2023-09-05  7:10   ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2023-09-05  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Robb
  Cc: Morten Brørup, Adam Hassick, thomas, ci, dts, Aaron Conole

Hello Patrick, Morten,

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 3:22 AM Patrick Robb <probb@iol.unh.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinking the community lab should move to an apply-patchset process like:
>     -if commit message contains "depends-on", then:
>         -get depends-on series id
>         -get referenced patch series and attempt to apply, and if successful then attempt to apply original patch on that.
>         -run testing
>
> I see that the github-robot reported a PASS, so they might already be doing this. I'll raise it during the next CI meeting and see what the ci group thinks or if they've discussed this before. Maybe there are some issues with this which I'm not thinking of, but we'll see what the group thinks.

My two cents (and copying Aaron): the ovsrobot (for dpdk) handles some
part of the Depends-on: series-XXX logic, indeed.
https://github.com/ovsrobot/pw-ci/commit/f2a73a46464424e977d4f8877e9a32314e4a0a07
https://github.com/ovsrobot/pw-ci/commit/3d263267cbd2d0c7b962aaaade9815379d03bba2

If you look at the 29416 or 29417 series branch history, you'll see
changes from series 29415:
https://github.com/ovsrobot/dpdk/commits/series_29417

--
David Marchand

* Re: Skip tests on Depends-on tag
@ 2023-09-05 16:00     ` Aaron Conole
From: Aaron Conole @ 2023-09-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand
  Cc: Patrick Robb, Morten Brørup, Adam Hassick, thomas, ci, dts

David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> writes:

> Hello Patrick, Morten,
>
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 3:22 AM Patrick Robb <probb@iol.unh.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinking the community lab should move to an apply-patchset process like:
>>     -if commit message contains "depends-on", then:
>>         -get depends-on series id
>>         -get referenced patch series and attempt to apply, and if successful then attempt to apply original patch on that.
>>         -run testing
>>
>> I see that the github-robot reported a PASS, so they might already be doing this. I'll raise it during the next CI meeting and see what the ci group thinks or if they've discussed this before. Maybe there are some issues with this which I'm not thinking of, but we'll see what the group thinks.
>
> My two cents (and copying Aaron): the ovsrobot (for dpdk) handles some
> part of the Depends-on: series-XXX logic, indeed.
> https://github.com/ovsrobot/pw-ci/commit/f2a73a46464424e977d4f8877e9a32314e4a0a07
> https://github.com/ovsrobot/pw-ci/commit/3d263267cbd2d0c7b962aaaade9815379d03bba2
>
> If you look at the 29416 or 29417 series branch history, you'll see
> changes from series 29415:
> https://github.com/ovsrobot/dpdk/commits/series_29417

Yes - we do handle depends-on as noted.  It would be good for the lab to
support this as well.  Support shouldn't be terribly difficult to
provide to the apply process, and it seems it is getting more use lately.