Soft Patch Panel
* [spp] DPDK v18.08 support
@ 2018-08-22 13:04 Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-08-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: dpdk-spp

Hi Yasufumi,

I am sure you already aware but for the record for mail list, latest spp doesn't
compile with latest DPDK v18.08 release because of some deprecated fields and APIs.

Do you guys already have a plan for the DPDK v18.08 support?

Thanks,
ferruh

* Re: [spp] DPDK v18.08 support
@ 2018-08-23  1:58 ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-08-23  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dpdk-spp

> Hi Yasufumi,
>
> I am sure you already aware but for the record for mail list, latest spp doesn't
> compile with latest DPDK v18.08 release because of some deprecated fields and APIs.
>
> Do you guys already have a plan for the DPDK v18.08 support?
Hi Ferruh,

Yes. I should replace deprecated rte_eth_dev_attach/detach() with rte_eal_hotplug_add/remove(). I have learned how to use this
new APIs and will send patches to make the changes.

At first, I would like to add 'CFLAGS += -Wno-deprecated-declarations' option to avoid the problem similar to DPDK, then change
to new APIs.

Thanks,
Yasufumi

> Thanks,
> ferruh

* Re: [spp] DPDK v18.08 support
@ 2018-08-24  9:22   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-08-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: dpdk-spp

On 8/23/2018 2:58 AM, Yasufumi Ogawa wrote:
>> Hi Yasufumi,
>>
>> I am sure you already aware but for the record for mail list, latest spp doesn't
>> compile with latest DPDK v18.08 release because of some deprecated fields and APIs.
>>
>> Do you guys already have a plan for the DPDK v18.08 support?
> Hi Ferruh,
>
> Yes. I should replace deprecated rte_eth_dev_attach/detach() with rte_eal_hotplug_add/remove(). I have learned how to use this
> new APIs and will send patches to make the changes.
>
> At first, I would like to add 'CFLAGS += -Wno-deprecated-declarations' option to avoid the problem similar to DPDK, then change
> to new APIs.

That would work but I am not sure how good idea it is.
Deprecated deprecation is notify you to update your application, I think we
shouldn't suppress these warnings.

> Thanks,
> Yasufumi
>>

>> Thanks,
>> ferruh

* Re: [spp] DPDK v18.08 support
@ 2018-08-27 10:59     ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-08-27 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dpdk-spp

> On 8/23/2018 2:58 AM, Yasufumi Ogawa wrote:
>>> Hi Yasufumi,
>>>
>>> I am sure you already aware but for the record for mail list, latest spp doesn't
>>> compile with latest DPDK v18.08 release because of some deprecated fields and APIs.
>>>
>>> Do you guys already have a plan for the DPDK v18.08 support?
>> Hi Ferruh,
>>
>> Yes. I should replace deprecated rte_eth_dev_attach/detach() with rte_eal_hotplug_add/remove(). I have learned how to use this
>> new APIs and will send patches to make the changes.
>>
>> At first, I would like to add 'CFLAGS += -Wno-deprecated-declarations' option to avoid the problem similar to DPDK, then change
>> to new APIs.
>
> That would work but I am not sure how good idea it is.
> Deprecated deprecation is notify you to update your application, I think we
> shouldn't suppress these warnings.

OK. I would like to try to fix with new APIs. I already sent patches for the issue and I will send next patches as version 2.
Thanks for your comment.

Yasufumi