* [dpdk-users] Unable to receive packet size less than 60 with rte_eth_rx_burst Api - regarding
@ 2019-09-23  8:44 Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad
From: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad @ 2019-09-23  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev

Hi All,
         when ever I am trying to send packets ( dpdk ver 18.05 stable ) of
size less than 60 bytes using rte_eth_tx_burst API with EthDev, packets are
receiving on other system with packet length of 60 bytes by appending
zeros's  to the end of the packet and there is no modification in the data.
But packet is receiving as it is without any appending of zero's when
packet size is more than 60. Is there any hidden limitation like this? can
anyone please tell me the reason ? How to resolve this ?

Thanks & Regards,
Hemasai

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Unable to receive packet size less than 60 with rte_eth_rx_burst Api - regarding
@ 2019-09-23  9:52 ` " Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2019-09-23  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad; +Cc: users, dev

Hi Hemasai,

This is due to the Ethernet standard.

Ethernet frames cannot be smaller than 64 bytes (60 bytes + 4 bytes checksum). So when transmitting a packet with too small payload, the transmit function will pad with zeroes until the size reaches the minimum Ethernet frame size, and the frame on the wire becomes 64 bytes (incl. 4 bytes checksum), which is what the receiver will receive.

Please also refer to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_frame#Payload

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards

Morten Brørup