* [dpdk-users] Handling KNI in a secondary process
@ 2020-07-01  9:48 Pavel Vajarov
From: Pavel Vajarov @ 2020-07-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi there,

Basically my question is whether it's possible to handle KNI packets
(rte_kni_tx_burst, rte_kni_handle_request, rte_kni_rx_burst) in a secondary
process?

My idea to do this is to avoid slowing down the primary process with KNI
handling. I'm thinking of using a shared memory ring buffer to send the
needed packets to the secondary process (just like in the
mulitprocess/client_server_mp example) and then the secondary process will
do the KNI processing. Is this setup possible?

I'm asking this because I read that the rte_kni_init function that
"This function is to be executed on the MASTER lcore only" and I was
wondering will I be able to use the kni related functions from a secondary
process?
Or maybe I need to initialize the KNI in the master process and then
use rte_kni_get before start using the KNI?

Thanks,
Pavel.