* [dpdk-users] KNI implementation help needed
@ 2016-01-26  9:08 arun kumar
From: arun kumar @ 2016-01-26  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

I need to integrate the KNI interface into my DPDK application which can
redirect the packets to Kernel stack.

But the DPDK “setup.py” script already creating one DPDK interface (dpdk0)
for the NIC port. Also the KNI interface creates one more logical interface
for the same NIC port. The creation of 2 logical interfaces for the same
NIC port creates issues in my application when I want to communicate to
external client.

So I want to use only one interface which can be used by DPDK application
and by KNI as well.

So, how to integrate KNI into DPDK applications?

-Arun

* Re: [dpdk-users] KNI implementation help needed
@ 2016-01-26 10:28 ` Masoud Moshref Javadi
From: Masoud Moshref Javadi @ 2016-01-26 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arun kumar, users

What command did you use in setup.py to create dpdk0?
This is how I use kni + dpdk.
use setup.py to load kni and igb-uio module and connect interface to igb
uio module
run kni sample app

@ 2016-01-27 20:28   ` arun kumar
From: arun kumar @ 2016-01-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masoud Moshref Javadi; +Cc: users

Thanks for your reply !
I used to run KNI in similar manner and I tested KNI sample application.

Came to know the reason behind dpdk0 interface ceration.
I am using mTCP package which contains dpdk integrated it. mTCP team
modified the igb_uio driver code to create dpdk# interfaces when the PCI
address is assigned igb_uio driver. so that's the reason I am seing dpdk0
interface when I run setup.py script and attach a device to igb_uio driver.
The dpdk0 interface will not be created by plain DPDK libraray/driver.

So I think I have to check with mTCP library to remove dependency with
dpdk0 interface to achieve what I need.