* net_ring, net_memif are missing RX-missed counter
@ 2023-03-15 17:41 Igor Gutorov
From: Igor Gutorov @ 2023-03-15 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I've noticed that net_ring and net_memif PMDs always report RX-missed
counter as 0. Is it just a feature that is missing, or is it something that
fundamentally cannot be implemented for these PMDs?

* Re: net_ring, net_memif are missing RX-missed counter
@ 2023-03-15 18:44 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2023-03-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Gutorov; +Cc: users

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 20:41:06 +0300
Igor Gutorov <igootorov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that net_ring and net_memif PMDs always report RX-missed
> counter as 0. Is it just a feature that is missing, or is it something that
> fundamentally cannot be implemented for these PMDs?

Rx missed is used by hardware devices to indicate the packets that
driver could not receive because of lack of resources. It has to come
from the hardware (or maybe the host in a virtual driver).

There probably is not an analogous counter in memif because it would
have to be maintained by the other side (sender) and then have a control
API for it.  If it is your application, then the sending side could
report how many times tx_burst was unable to send packets.