* running DPDK application on Azure
@ 2022-04-12 20:09 Yang Luan
From: Yang Luan @ 2022-04-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

We have an application using DPDK on AWS and would like to port it to
Azure. What would be recommended PMD to use? If I understand correctly, we
can either use the Netvsc PMD or the vdev_Netvsc PMD. It seems the Netvsc
PMD is newer.

An alternative is to use the mlx4 PMD by only attaching to the mlx NIC's
PCI address. As I understand it, the concern is the mlx nic may not receive
all the packets. We run a proprietary UDP based protocol on top of DPDK.
Are all UDP packets guaranteed to be received by the mlx NIC?

Thanks,
Yang

* Re: running DPDK application on Azure
@ 2022-04-13 15:58 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-04-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang Luan; +Cc: users

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 13:09:51 -0700
Yang Luan <luan.penny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an application using DPDK on AWS and would like to port it to
> Azure. What would be recommended PMD to use? If I understand correctly, we
> can either use the Netvsc PMD or the vdev_Netvsc PMD. It seems the Netvsc
> PMD is newer.

Short answer:

Netvsc PMD is faster and can handle events better.
vdev_netvsc/failsafe/tap is slower but can emulate some types of rte_flow.

> An alternative is to use the mlx4 PMD by only attaching to the mlx NIC's
> PCI address. As I understand it, the concern is the mlx nic may not receive
> all the packets. We run a proprietary UDP based protocol on top of DPDK.
> Are all UDP packets guaranteed to be received by the mlx NIC?

That won't work. the MLX device only sees established flows.

* Re: running DPDK application on Azure
@ 2022-04-13 18:41   ` Yang Luan
From: Yang Luan @ 2022-04-13 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stephen; +Cc: users

Thanks Stephen.

Is the Netvsc PMD selected by default or I'll need to specify it somewhere?

Since I'm running a proprietary UDP protocol, 3rd parties (e.g. Azure)
won't know how a flow is established. I'm curious how exactly Azure selects
which NIC to receive a given packet?

Yang

@ 2022-04-13 23:36     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-04-13 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang Luan; +Cc: users

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:41:30 -0700
Yang Luan <luan.penny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Stephen.
>
> Is the Netvsc PMD selected by default or I'll need to specify it somewhere?
>
> Since I'm running a proprietary UDP protocol, 3rd parties (e.g. Azure)
> won't know how a flow is established. I'm curious how exactly Azure selects
> which NIC to receive a given packet?
>
> Yang
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 8:58 AM Stephen Hemminger <
> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 13:09:51 -0700
> > Yang Luan <luan.penny@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have an application using DPDK on AWS and would like to port it to
> > > Azure. What would be recommended PMD to use? If I understand correctly,
> > we
> > > can either use the Netvsc PMD or the vdev_Netvsc PMD. It seems the Netvsc
> > > PMD is newer.
> >
> > Short answer:
> >
> > Netvsc PMD is faster and can handle events better.
> > vdev_netvsc/failsafe/tap is slower but can emulate some types of rte_flow.
> >

> > > An alternative is to use the mlx4 PMD by only attaching to the mlx NIC's
> > > PCI address. As I understand it, the concern is the mlx nic may not
> > receive
> > > all the packets. We run a proprietary UDP based protocol on top of DPDK.
> > > Are all UDP packets guaranteed to be received by the mlx NIC?
> >
> > That won't work. the MLX device only sees established flows.

The choice is made based on whether vmbus is unbound from kernel or not.
If vmbus is left bound to kernel, then hv_netvsc will look at all the network
devices, and those without any routes it will setup.  The setup makes the
TAP/failsafe sub devices.

If vmbus device is unbound from network device and instead bound to hv_uio_generic,
then the DPDK startup code will see it and should setup from there.

The documentation is there in many places.