* Finer matching granularity with async template API
@ 2024-03-21 15:44 Tao Li
From: Tao Li @ 2024-03-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,

I am using async template API to install flow rules to perform actions on packets to achieve IP(v4)inIP(v6) tunnelling. Currently I am facing an issue where I cannot perform incoming traffic matching with finer granularity. The test-pmd commands in use are as following:

<Not working test-pmd commands>
port stop all

flow configure 0 queues_number 4 queues_size 64 counters_number 0 aging_counters_number 0 meters_number 0 flags 0   # PF0

flow configure 1 queues_number 4 queues_size 64 counters_number 0 aging_counters_number 0 meters_number 0 flags 0

flow configure 2 queues_number 4 queues_size 64 counters_number 0 aging_counters_number 0 meters_number 0 flags 0

flow configure 3 queues_number 4 queues_size 64 counters_number 0 aging_counters_number 0 meters_number 0 flags 0  # PF1V0

port start all
set verbose 1

flow pattern_template 0 create transfer relaxed no pattern_template_id 10  template represented_port ethdev_port_id is 0 / eth  / ipv6 / ipv4 / icmp  / end

set raw_decap 0 eth  / ipv6 / end_set
set raw_encap 0 eth src is 11:22:33:44:55:66 dst is 66:9d:a7:fd:fb:43 type is 0x0800 / end_set

flow actions_template 0 create transfer  actions_template_id 10  template raw_decap index 0 / raw_encap index 0 / represented_port / end mask raw_decap index 0 / raw_encap index 0 /  represented_port  / end

flow template_table 0 create  group 0 priority 0  transfer wire_orig table_id 5 rules_number 8 pattern_template 10 actions_template 10

flow queue 0 create 0 template_table 5 pattern_template 0 actions_template 0 postpone no pattern represented_port ethdev_port_id is 0 / eth  / ipv6  / ipv4 / icmp  / end actions raw_decap index 0 / raw_encap index 0 /  represented_port ethdev_port_id 3 / end

flow push 0 queue 0
</Not working test-pmd commands>

Once I remove matching patterns for the inner packet headers( ipv4 / icmp) as following, I can see the processed packets inside VMs using tcpdump.

<Working test-pmd commands>
…
flow pattern_template 0 create transfer relaxed no pattern_template_id 10  template represented_port ethdev_port_id is 0 / eth  / ipv6 / end
…
flow queue 0 create 0 template_table 5 pattern_template 0 actions_template 0 postpone no pattern represented_port ethdev_port_id is 0 / eth  / ipv6   / end actions raw_decap index 0 / raw_encap index 0 /  represented_port ethdev_port_id 3 / end
…
</Working test-pmd commands>

Similar combination works when using the synchronous rte_flow API. Any comment or suggestion on this issue is much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Tao