* About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09  2:38 Nick Tian
From: Nick Tian @ 2022-08-09  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi
I am confusing about the "no-huge" option of DPDK 21.11.
The dpdk usage said: --no-huge:Use malloc instead of hugetlbfs.
But when I check the EAL source code, I found some code piece like this:
It's look like "no-huge" option will lead dpdk use  memfd_create--> ftruncate--> mmap to reserve memory
and then provide to application with rte_malloc.
Am I right?
If so, what the "malloc" in "use malloc instead of hugelbfs" refer to?

EAL_memory.c
static int eal_legacy_hugepage_init(void){
 if (internal_conf->no_hugetlbfs) {
#ifdef MEMFD_SUPPORTED
  /* create a memfd and store it in the segment fd table */
  memfd = memfd_create("nohuge", 0);
   /* we got an fd - now resize it */
   if (ftruncate(memfd, internal_conf->memory) < 0) {
    fd = memfd;
    flags = MAP_SHARED;   }
  prealloc_addr = msl->base_va;
  addr = mmap(prealloc_addr, mem_sz, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
    flags | MAP_FIXED, fd, 0);

* About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09  2:54 ` Nick Tian
From: Nick Tian @ 2022-08-09  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

[...]

* RE: About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09  9:04   ` Kinsella, Ray
From: Kinsella, Ray @ 2022-08-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Tian, users; +Cc: Burakov, Anatoly

I may be incorrect, but is it not simply the case, that when using the no-huge parameter that MAP_HUGETLB is omitted from flags?

Ray K

@ 2022-08-09  9:25     ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2022-08-09  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kinsella, Ray, Nick Tian, users

There are two different issues at play here.

The purpose of “no-huge” flag is to run DPDK without requiring hugepage memory. Originally, this has been done using an anonymous mmap() call – so, this memory was not using any fd’s at all. This presents a problem with vhost-user, because it relies on fd’s for its shared memory implementation. This is what memfd (a relatively recent addition to the kernel) is addressing – it’s enabling usage of vhost-user with no-huge because memfd actually does create an fd to back our memory.

That said, while description says “malloc”, it is technically incorrect because there’s no malloc involved in the process. The “malloc” term is simply shorthand for “use regular memory”, and should be understood in that context.

Thanks,
Anatoly

[...]

* 回复:RE: About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09  9:41       ` Nick Tian
From: Nick Tian @ 2022-08-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly, Kinsella, Ray, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li

Hi Burakov
Thanks for your reply.
BTW, about the memory reserved by  memfd_create-->ftruncate-->mmap,
what on earth is the coherency between cache and DDR? In another word, is it cacheable?uncacheable?
Is it possible for application to pass this memory to a device with DMA controller(I mean pass the PHY addr coverted by  rte_mem_virt2phy to DMA controller)?
If yes, how can we ensure the coherency between cache and DDR?

static int eal_legacy_hugepage_init(void)
  memfd = memfd_create("nohuge", 0);
    fd = memfd;
    flags = MAP_SHARED; //MAP_SHARED means UNCACHEABLE?

[...]

* RE: 回复:RE: About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09  9:59         ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2022-08-09  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Tian, Kinsella, Ray, users; +Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li

You should not use that memory’s real physical addresses, because we cannot guarantee that the kernel won’t change them under our feet. Please do not do that.

However, if you use IOVA as VA mode (that is, if you have an IOMMU on your machine and you’re using VFIO to bind devices to DPDK), then no-huge memory can be used with IOMMU, because then the kernel/IOMMU takes care of all the VA to PA mappings. I honestly cannot answer the “cacheable” question, as it never comes up (at least on IA). What are you trying to do, and how is this relevant?

In general, no-huge is meant to be a debug option, and is neither intended nor adequately tested for production workloads.

Thanks,
Anatoly

[...]

* 回复:回复:RE: About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09 11:32         ` Nick Tian
From: Nick Tian @ 2022-08-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Tian, Burakov, Anatoly, Kinsella, Ray, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li

Hi  Anatoly
Let me provide some detail about our user sce​nario.
1.Our HW platform does not support IOMMU, it's a ARM A53 based platform.
2.We try to use DPDK to accelerate the ethernet forwarding performance with our own HW accelerator(Let use HAC as abbreviate).
3.We configure DPDK as "no-huge", and try to use rte_malloc to allocate memory and pass the PHY address of this memory to HAC(write the PHY address to it's register).
4.When HAC receive the ethernet packet, it will parse the packet data and write the descriptor and payload to the memory which allocated in step 3.(The HAC know where to write since we already tell it the address with it's register).
5.Application use the virtual address of this memory to read the descriptor and payload to do something else.
As far as you know, the memory which would be passed to HW should be "uncacheable" and "physically continous" to avoid the in-coherency issue and other issue.
(Given 64 bytes start with Address1 has already in CPU L2 cache, in the meantime , HAC write 32 bytes from Address1, then in-coherency issue will happen. since if we read the content from Address1 with software, the software will get
the old copy from cache instead of the latest one in DDR).

So, I need to know the memory which allocated by rte_malloc( configure with no-huge) is UNCACHEABLE/Physically continous or not?
We need it physically continous and UNCACHEABLE,  otherwise it will not suitable for this user scenario.

[...]

* RE: 回复:回复:RE: About memory coherency
@ 2022-08-09 11:44           ` Kinsella, Ray
From: Kinsella, Ray @ 2022-08-09 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Tian, Burakov, Anatoly, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li, jerinj

Hi Nick,

Adding Jerin to direct your query. As I think you need some of the ARM guys to chime in here, coherency constraints are ARM is different to Intel.

Ray K

@ 2022-08-09 11:57             ` Nick Tian
From: Nick Tian @ 2022-08-09 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kinsella, Ray, Burakov, Anatoly, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li, jerinj

Hi Jerin
Let me re-organize my question.
We are using DPDK configure with "no-huge" option to implement our ethernet forwarding application.(Since in my HW platform, when I enable huge-page, linux will hang during startup).
After check the EAL source code, I found when I configure DPDK as "No-huge", DPDK will allocate memory with memfd_create-->ftruncate-->mmap.
Our user scenario is like this:

1.Our HW platform does not support IOMMU, it's a ARM A53 based platform.
2.We try to use DPDK to accelerate the ethernet forwarding performance with our own HW accelerator(Let's use HAC as abbreviate).
3.We configure DPDK as "no-huge", and try to use rte_malloc to allocate memory and pass the PHY address of this memory to HAC(write the PHY address to it's register).
4.When HAC receive the ethernet packet, it will parse the packet data and write the descriptor and payload to the memory which allocated in step 3.(The HAC know where to write since we already tell it the physical address with it's register).
5.Application use the virtual address of this memory to read the descriptor and payload to do something else.
I need the memory I got from rte_malloc be physically continous and uncacheable to avoid In-coherent issue and other issue.
I want to know if the memory allocated as memfd_create-->ftruncate-->mmap is physically continous and uncacheable.

@ 2022-08-09 12:16             ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2022-08-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kinsella, Ray, Nick Tian, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li, jerinj

Memory allocated with ‘no-huge’ will not be physically contiguous. Whether it’s cacheable is, I assume, depending on your platform. I can’t comment on ARM platforms, so I’ll defer to Jerin et al. to comment on this 😊

Thanks,
Anatoly

[...]

* 回复:About memory cohere =?utf-8?Q?ncy
@ 2022-08-09 13:05               ` ‪nick.tian
From: ‪nick.tian@longsailingsemi.com‬ @ 2022-08-09 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly, Kinsella, Ray, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li, jerinj

* RE: 回复:About memory cohere =?utf-8?Q?ncy
@ 2022-08-09 13:13                 ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2022-08-09 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ‪nick.tian@longsailingsemi.com‬, Kinsella, Ray, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li, jerinj

rte_malloc merely distributes memory that was already allocated from the system using mmap(). This isn’t even guaranteed with hugepages unless you’re using IOMMU or using legacy mem mode, but without hugepages, there is no way we can allocate physically contiguous memory, because we have no control over what the kernel gives us.

So, the underlying memory will not be physically contiguous, and, as a consequence, neither will be one given out by rte_malloc.

Thanks,
Anatoly

发件人: "Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com<mailto:anatoly.burakov@intel.com>>
日期: 2022年8月9日周二 晚上8:16
收件人: "Kinsella, Ray" <ray.kinsella@intel.com<mailto:ray.kinsella@intel.com>>, Nick Tian <nick.tian@longsailingsemi.com<mailto:nick.tian@longsailingsemi.com>>, users@dpdk.org<mailto:users@dpdk.org>
抄送: Jason Liu <jason.liu@longsailingsemi.com<mailto:jason.liu@longsailingsemi.com>>, Sunshine Qin <sunshine.qin@longsailingsemi.com<mailto:sunshine.qin@longsailingsemi.com>>, Mediter Li <mediter.li@longsailingsemi.com<mailto:mediter.li@longsailingsemi.com>>, jerinj@marvell.com<mailto:jerinj@marvell.com>
主 题: RE: 回复:回复:RE: About memory cohere =?utf-8?Q?ncy

@ 2022-08-09 13:16               ` Jerin Jacob Kollanukkaran
From: Jerin Jacob Kollanukkaran @ 2022-08-09 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly, Kinsella, Ray, Nick Tian, users
  Cc: Jason Liu, Sunshine Qin, Mediter Li

> I assume, depending on your platform. I can’t comment on ARM platforms, so I’ll defer to Jerin et al. to comment on this 😊

it will be cacheable.