DPDK website maintenance
* [dpdk-web] update of "Contribute" page
@ 2019-08-07 15:04 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-08-07 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: web; +Cc: Jill Lovato, tdelanerolle

Hi,

I would like to propose an update of this page:
	https://www.dpdk.org/contribute/
It is supposed to be a welcome page for contributors of any DPDK project,
not only the core one. So we can remove some redundancy with the page
about contributing to DPDK Core.
One more change: we have a new code.dpdk.org service to advertise.

We can keep this introduction:
"
DPDK is an open source project, with the main code BSD licensed and Linux kernel related parts are naturally licensed under the GPL. We welcome and encourage anyone who is interested to contribute and participate in the project.
"
The second part of the introduction requires some changes:
"
The collaboration is based on git and emails. Coming patches are listed in patchwork. Bugs are open in bugzilla. The Technical Board may intermediate in the development process, as described in the Technical Board operation.
"
The link on "git" must be changed to http://git.dpdk.org so that it covers all repositories.
The link on "emails" must be to the following section listing all mailing-lists.
The link on "patchwork" must cover any possible new project: https://patches.dpdk.org
The sentence about the roadmap is removed because specific to Core.
The link on "bugzilla" must cover all projects: https://bugs.dpdk.org

We should add a sentence to link to the "Contribute" page of the Core project:
"
The main project has specific informations for contributors.
Other projects have their own documentation.
"
with "informations for contributors" being a link to https://core.dpdk.org/contribute
and "documentation" being a link to https://www.dpdk.org/hosted-projects/

The next section "Get the Code" can be replaced by a list of links to services
available to the contributors:
	- Code - code.dpdk.org
	- Repositories - git.dpdk.org
	- Patches - patches.dpdk.org
	- Email archives - inbox.dpdk.org
	- Bugs - bugs.dpdk.org

The section "Mailing Lists" should stay as is.

The section "Ways to Contribute" is an old copy of the Core project,
so it should be completely removed from this general page.

Any comment?

* Re: [dpdk-web] update of "Contribute" page
@ 2019-08-07 15:09 ` Trishan de Lanerolle
From: Trishan de Lanerolle @ 2019-08-07 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dpdk-web, Jill Lovato

Looks reasonable set of changes.
Trishan

@ 2019-08-07 15:34   ` Jill Lovato
From: Jill Lovato @ 2019-08-07 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trishan de Lanerolle; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, dpdk-web

+1

Let us know if these changes need to be made on our end.

Thanks,
Jill

--
*Jill Lovato*
Senior PR Manager

* Re: [dpdk-web] update of "Contribute" page
@ 2019-08-07 15:50 ` Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2019-08-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, web; +Cc: Jill Lovato, tdelanerolle

> The collaboration is based on git and emails. Coming patches are listed in
> patchwork. Bugs are open in bugzilla. The Technical Board may intermediate
> in the development process, as described in the Technical Board operation.

Some minor proposed changes to this section as follows:

The collaboration is based on git and emails. Incoming patches are listed in
patchwork. Bugs are opened in bugzilla. The Technical Board may intermediate
in the development process, as described in the Technical Board operation.

> The main project has specific informations for contributors.
> Other projects have their own documentation.

The singular "information" would be better here.

Otherwise +1.

@ 2019-08-07 16:07   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-08-07 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John, Jill Lovato, tdelanerolle; +Cc: web

07/08/2019 17:50, Mcnamara, John:
> > The collaboration is based on git and emails. Coming patches are listed in
> > patchwork. Bugs are open in bugzilla. The Technical Board may intermediate
> > in the development process, as described in the Technical Board operation.
>
> Some minor proposed changes to this section as follows:
>
> The collaboration is based on git and emails. Incoming patches are listed in
> patchwork. Bugs are opened in bugzilla. The Technical Board may intermediate
> in the development process, as described in the Technical Board operation.
>
> > The main project has specific informations for contributors.
> > Other projects have their own documentation.
>
> The singular "information" would be better here.
>
> Otherwise +1.

OK, thanks for the review John.

Trishan, Jill, I think you can proceed with the above suggestions.
Thanks

@ 2019-08-07 16:11     ` Jill Lovato
From: Jill Lovato @ 2019-08-07 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Mcnamara, John, tdelanerolle, web

Yes, we'll get these updates in.

Thanks so much!

--

@ 2019-08-10 22:29       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-08-10 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jill Lovato; +Cc: Mcnamara, John, tdelanerolle, web

Hi,

I'm reviewing the web page and see some inconsistencies with what
was written in this email thread, and I think about few improvements.

Please check comments from John below about "Incoming", "opened"
and "information" words, thanks.

About the section listing the services, I was expecting a section title,
like "Online Tools".
I think you can replace "Email archives" with just "Emails".
And instead of writing the URLs, it would be simpler to just keep the
name of the service (Code, Repositories, Patches, Emails, Bugs)
as the link itself. If you think of a better layout for this list,
like buttons on a row, feel free.

Thanks

07/08/2019 18:11, Jill Lovato:

@ 2019-09-03 20:21         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-09-03 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jill Lovato, tdelanerolle; +Cc: web, Mcnamara, John

Ping,
The changes below are waiting to be applied on the web site.
Thanks in advance for closing this item.

11/08/2019 00:29, Thomas Monjalon:

@ 2019-09-03 20:46           ` Jill Lovato
From: Jill Lovato @ 2019-09-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: tdelanerolle, dpdk-web, Mcnamara, John

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for flagging. These updates have been made.

Regards,
Jill

--

@ 2019-09-03 20:50             ` Thomas Monjalon