DPDK website maintenance
* Application for gazelle to Join DPDK Open Source Project List
@ 2024-05-01  3:51 Wuchangye (EulerOS)
From: Wuchangye (EulerOS) @ 2024-05-01  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: web

Hello everyone:

I am Changye Wu, the project leader of the gazelle project in the openEuler community. I am delighted to introduce the gazelle project to you all.

gazelle<https://gitee.com/openeuler/gazelle> is a high-performance user-space protocol stack based on DPDK. It has been open-sourced in the openEuler community and released with the openEuler LTS version. Thanks to DPDK's high-performance packet processing and gazelle's efforts in scheduling, threadization of the protocol stack, etc., gazelle has strong competitiveness in terms of latency, throughput, etc. It can achieve a performance improvement of 20%+ for MySQL and 100% for Redis. Currently, it is widely used in scenarios such as finance and storage.

We have noticed that the DPDK community encourages everyone to build open-source projects based on DPDK<https://www.dpdk.org/ecosystem/>. We also hope to interact with the DPDK community and leverage the power of the community to make gazelle better. Therefore, we hereby apply to join the DPDK open-source project ecosystem. We hope to strengthen our connection with the community, grow together with the community, and contribute to the prosperity of the DPDK community ecosystem. We look forward to your reply.

Below, I will provide a detailed introduction to the gazelle project, covering aspects such as its technical architecture and effects, project operation status, DPDK support, internal and external collaborations, etc.

l  Gazelle Software Architecture:
[cid:image001.jpg@01DA9BBD.ECBFADC0]

Technical Features of gazelle:
High Performance: Zero-copy packet transmission and reception implemented based on DPDK.
Plug-and-Play: Posix compatible, LD_PRELOAD hijacking, no need for business adaptation.
Generality: Supports various network models such as run-to-completion, run-to-wakeup, accelerating applications like MySQL, Redis, etc.

l  Project Operation Status:
gazelle was open-sourced in the openEuler community in 2022. Over the course of two years, it has garnered contributions from over 35 developers from Kylin Software, China Mobile, Huawei, and others. There have been over 1000 PR submissions. It has been released in over 10 community versions including openEuler 20.03 LTS, 22.03 LTS, 24.03 LTS, etc.

l  DPDK Version Support:
gazelle supports multiple versions of DPDK including 19.11, 21.11, 23.11, etc.

l  Collaborations:
gazelle has collaborated with enterprises such as China Mobile, Shanghai Stock Exchange, etc. It has jointly conducted community conference presentations<https://www.openeuler.org/zh/interaction/summit-list/summit2023/#live>, released technical whitepapers<https://www.openeuler.org/zh/news/openEuler/20240122-whitepape/20240122-whitepape.html>, and more with its partners.
[cid:image003.jpg@01DA9BBD.ECBFADC0][cid:image005.jpg@01DA9BBD.ECBFADC0]

l  Future Evolution:
Currently, gazelle still faces challenges in scenarios such as multi-processes and containers. We are researching DPDK features like Multi-process<https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/multi_proc_support.html>, flow_bifurcation<https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/howto/flow_bifurcation.html>, virtio_user<https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/howto/virtio_user_for_container_networking.html>, etc. We will further enhance gazelle based on these features.

For more detailed information about gazelle, you can visit our project repository: https://gitee.com/openeuler/gazelle . Feel free to contact us; we welcome any inquiries.

[-- Attachment #2: image001.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 94276 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: image003.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 50354 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: image005.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 62605 bytes --]

* Re: Application for gazelle to Join DPDK Open Source Project List
@ 2024-05-01  8:43 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2024-05-01  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wuchangye (EulerOS), nsouthern, Ben Thomas; +Cc: web

Thank you for the detailed information below.
It has been requested to add this project last year already:
	https://inbox.dpdk.org/web/aca0f09c-a76c-a633-4db9-43501023357a@huawei.com/

Nathan, Ben, please could you add a link to
	https://gitee.com/openeuler/gazelle
with this text:
	Gazelle - TCP Stack
in https://www.dpdk.org/ecosystem/#projects

Would it be interesting to learn more about the OpenEuler project in a blog post?

01/05/2024 05:51, Wuchangye (EulerOS):

@ 2024-05-01 15:50   ` Nathan Southern
From: Nathan Southern @ 2024-05-01 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Wuchangye (EulerOS), Ben Thomas, web

done

On Wed, May 1, 2024 at 3:43 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> [...]
> released technical whitepapers<
> https://www.openeuler.org/zh/news/openEuler/20240122-whitepape/20240122-whitepape.html>,
> and more with its partners.
> > [cid:image003.jpg@01DA9BBD.ECBFADC0][cid:image005.jpg@01DA9BBD.ECBFADC0]
> >

> > l  Future Evolution:
> > Currently, gazelle still faces challenges in scenarios such as
> multi-processes and containers. We are researching DPDK features like
> Multi-process<
> https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/multi_proc_support.html>,
> flow_bifurcation<https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/howto/flow_bifurcation.html>,
> virtio_user<
> https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/howto/virtio_user_for_container_networking.html>,
> etc. We will further enhance gazelle based on these features.
> >
> > For more detailed information about gazelle, you can visit our project

* 答复: Application for gazelle to Join DPDK Open Source Project List
@ 2024-05-01 22:34     ` Wuchangye (EulerOS)
From: Wuchangye (EulerOS) @ 2024-05-01 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Southern, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ben Thomas, web

Thank you very much!
Currently, we are on vacation. After the vacation, we will submit a blog post introducing Gazelle to the DPDK community. Additionally, we have noticed that the DPDK APAC Summit<https://www.dpdk.org/event/dpdk-apac-summit-2024-bangkok/> will be held in July. We will pay attention to the conference registration information and try to submit proposals.

@ 2024-05-02 15:15     ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2024-05-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Southern, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Wuchangye (EulerOS), Ben Thomas, web

I am interested in the project and would like to learn more about it,
but provided link is not in English and it makes life harder.

What would you think about updating link to an English documentation,
like following one:
https://docs.openeuler.org/en/docs/24.03_LTS/docs/Gazelle/Gazelle.html

@ 2024-05-03  9:32       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2024-05-03  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, Wuchangye (EulerOS); +Cc: Nathan Southern, Ben Thomas, web

02/05/2024 17:15, Ferruh Yigit:
> I am interested in the project and would like to learn more about it,
> but provided link is not in English and it makes life harder.
>
> What would you think about updating link to an English documentation,
> like following one:
> https://docs.openeuler.org/en/docs/24.03_LTS/docs/Gazelle/Gazelle.html

This link is for a specific version.
Is there a more permanent link?

What about providing a link to the English documentation on the first page of the project?

@ 2024-05-06  6:08         ` Wuchangye (EulerOS)
From: Wuchangye (EulerOS) @ 2024-05-06  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: Nathan Southern, Ben Thomas, web

ok, the English documentations will be updated recently.