From: Alex Rosenbaum <rosenbaumalex@gmail.com>
To: Qi Zhang <qi.z.zhang@intel.com>
Cc: adrien.mazarguil@6wind.com, DPDK <dev@dpdk.org>,
	 Declan Doherty <declan.doherty@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC v2 0/5] rte_flow extension for vSwitch acceleration
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:01:36 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 4:35 AM, Qi Zhang <qi.z.zhang@intel.com> wrote:
> This patch extend rte_flow API.
> The purpose is to provide comfortable programming interface for virtual switch
> software (such as OVS) to take advantage of incoming device's vSwitch acceleration
> capability when using DPDK as data plane.
>
> Below is summary of changes:
>
> 1. Support to specify flow's destination as an ethdev interface.
>
> Add action RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_ETHDEV_PORT, use port_id as the identification
> of the destitation. A typical use case is, with a smart NIC used for vSwitch
> acceleration, flow is defined to redirect packet between switch port that is
> managed by a Port Representor.
> See patch for Port Representor: http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/31458/

If we are going to have a representation of a switch in DPDK then I we
need real PMD's for the switch ports, and not virtual PMD's as in the
Port Representor model.
These real ports will probably require specific switch_ops, which are
different than the NIC (eth_dev_ops). At least few additional on top
of NIC ops.
We will need to support Tx and Rx burst on these switch ports and
configure ACL's, flooding mode and more.

Alex