* [dpdk-dev] dpdk - poll mode - context switches
@ 2015-02-25  9:54 Jog Lie
From: Jog Lie @ 2015-02-25  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

I am not sure to understand the mechanism behind dpdk concerning the context switches.
I have two user space applications that need access to the NIC according to incoming port rules (port 80 and port 443).

How to be sure that DPDK spreads the load to the right application ?

Will 2 dpdk instances be needed (one per app) -> two incoming packets analysis to "know" if the packet should be forwarded to
the user space process ? Which would basically be the same thing as inefficient promiscuous mode.

i don't understand that "filtering" point.

Could you please clarify ?

Thanks

--
Jog

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dpdk - poll mode - context switches
@ 2015-02-25 11:06 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-02-25 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jog Lie; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:54:51AM +0100, Jog Lie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure to understand the mechanism behind dpdk concerning the context switches.
> I have two user space applications that need access to the NIC according to incoming port rules (port 80 and port 443).
>
> How to be sure that DPDK spreads the load to the right application ?
>
> Will 2 dpdk instances be needed (one per app) -> two incoming packets analysis to "know" if the packet should be forwarded to
> the user space process ? Which would basically be the same thing as inefficient promiscuous mode.
>
> i don't understand that "filtering" point.
>
> Could you please clarify ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jog

Hi Jog,

The missing link in connecting applications which receive packets from port
80/443 and DPDK itself is the TCP/IP stack in use. DPDK itself does not include
any stack, so you'll need to select a stack to use with your applications. The
mechanics of how apps talk to ports and how traffic gets filtered to them is
largely the stack's responsibility.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dpdk - poll mode - context switches
@ 2015-02-25 11:21   ` Jog Lie
From: Jog Lie @ 2015-02-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Hi Bruce,