* [dpdk-dev] Q on contribution to DPDK
@ 2014-10-31 21:39 r k
From: r k @ 2014-10-31 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello DPDK development team,

I am interested in contributing to DPDK and wanted to know a way of
contributing to it. Some questions

1. Will DPDK accept patches from community? I will be individual
contributor with no affiliation to any company.

2. If answer is "Yes" to previous question, should I look at DPDK
development roadmap and pick one from that?

Inputs appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Q on contribution to DPDK
@ 2014-10-31 22:16 ` St Leger, Jim
From: St Leger, Jim @ 2014-10-31 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r k, dev

Ravi:

DPDK is an open source community project. Anyone and everyone are welcome and encouraged to contribute patches. There should not be any concern about individual contributors versus company affiliation. What matters is useful code.
Please review the Development page on the site for guidance: http://dpdk.org/dev

If you have particular areas of interest or expertise just share that with the list.

I look forward to your contributions.

Jim

@ 2014-10-31 22:53   ` r k
From: r k @ 2014-10-31 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: St Leger, Jim; +Cc: dev

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. I did check DPDK roadmap and it wasn't clear
to me what's available to be implemented. In addition, roadmap lists
features but doesn't give description as to what needs to be done. It
might be no brainer for original developers but it will definitely
help outsiders if some information is provided. Also I was thinking if
I can start-off with bug fixing initially to get acquainted with the
code and then start off with more things. Please let me know your
inputs.

Thanks,
Ravi

@ 2014-11-02 21:32     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-11-02 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r k; +Cc: dev

Hi,

There are many ways of contributing to DPDK.
Apart features and fixes, I'd suggest these 4 activities:
- Bug reporting is critical to satisfy all use cases
- Patch reviews are very important and help to accelerate their integration
- Clean-up (e.g. remove doxygen warnings, merge linux and bsd eal, etc)
- Documentation

Welcome :)

PS: inline replies are preferred in general

--
Thomas

2014-10-31 15:53, r k:

@ 2014-11-04 22:39       ` r k
From: r k @ 2014-11-04 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi,

Sure I can start with Clean-up as I need to familiarize with the code
first and then follow-up with Patch reviews.

Thanks,
Ravi