* [dpdk-dev] Headers files with BSD license in kernel
@ 2015-06-09 17:40 Miguel Bernal Marin
From: Miguel Bernal Marin @ 2015-06-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I'm working on Clear Linux project, and when I was integrating DPDK
kernel modules to our kernel I found there are two headers with
BSD License

rte_pci_dev_feature_defs.h
rte_pci_dev_features.h

those are included in igb_uio module.

Are those licenses correct?

Thanks,
Miguel

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Headers files with BSD license in kernel
@ 2015-06-09 20:09 ` Miguel Bernal Marin
From: Miguel Bernal Marin @ 2015-06-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: miguel.bernal.marin

Including maintainers in CC

@ 2015-06-10  0:42   ` Zhang, Helin
From: Zhang, Helin @ 2015-06-10  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Bernal Marin; +Cc: dev, Bernal Marin, Miguel

Hi Miguel

My thought is there might be something wrong. Let's see what comments from other experts!
Thank you very much for the good catch!

Regards,
Helin

@ 2015-06-10  1:15     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-06-10  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Helin; +Cc: dev, Bernal Marin, Miguel

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 00:42:59 +0000
"Zhang, Helin" <helin.zhang@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Miguel
>
> My thought is there might be something wrong. Let's see what comments from other experts!
> Thank you very much for the good catch!
>
> Regards,
> Helin

You can always escalate a BSD license to GPL, but the other way is not allowed.
Ideally, the language on the file should make it clear that it is dual licensed.
In an ideal world, igb_uio would go away, I am working on that.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Headers files with BSD license in kernel
@ 2015-06-10  1:20       ` Zhang, Helin
From: Zhang, Helin @ 2015-06-10  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev, Bernal Marin, Miguel

Yes, I agree with you. To be clearer, rte_pci_dev_feature_defs.h should be in dual liceses, and rte_pci_dev_features.h should be in GPL license.

Thanks,
Helin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Headers files with BSD license in kernel
@ 2015-06-10  8:54         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-10  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernal Marin, Miguel; +Cc: dev

2015-06-10 01:20, Zhang, Helin:
> From: Stephen Hemminger [mailto:stephen@networkplumber.org]

> > You can always escalate a BSD license to GPL, but the other way is not allowed.
> > Ideally, the language on the file should make it clear that it is dual licensed.
> > In an ideal world, igb_uio would go away, I am working on that.
>
> Yes, I agree with you. To be clearer, rte_pci_dev_feature_defs.h should be in dual
> liceses, and rte_pci_dev_features.h should be in GPL license.

Yes, it is an error from this commit:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=88701645c98c9c88
These definitions were moved from a GPL file so they should keep the GPL header.
Then it is used in EAL:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=ff0b67d1c868c19
So it must be dual licensed, like for rte_pci_dev_ids.h:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_pci_dev_ids.h

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Headers files with BSD license in kernel
@ 2015-06-10  9:01           ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2015-06-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Bernal Marin, Miguel; +Cc: dev

> 2015-06-10 01:20, Zhang, Helin:
> > From: Stephen Hemminger [mailto:stephen@networkplumber.org]

> > > You can always escalate a BSD license to GPL, but the other way is not
> allowed.
> > > Ideally, the language on the file should make it clear that it is dual
> licensed.
> > > In an ideal world, igb_uio would go away, I am working on that.
> >
> > Yes, I agree with you. To be clearer, rte_pci_dev_feature_defs.h
> > should be in dual liceses, and rte_pci_dev_features.h should be in GPL
> license.
>
> Yes, it is an error from this commit:
> 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=88701645c98c9c88
> These definitions were moved from a GPL file so they should keep the GPL
> header.
> Then it is used in EAL:
> 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=ff0b67d1c868c19
> So it must be dual licensed, like for rte_pci_dev_ids.h:
> 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_eal/common/include/
> rte_pci_dev_ids.h

Agreed, should have been more careful. Should I make the patch to correct this?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Headers files with BSD license in kernel
@ 2015-06-10  9:08             ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly; +Cc: dev, Bernal Marin, Miguel

2015-06-10 09:01, Burakov, Anatoly:
> > 2015-06-10 01:20, Zhang, Helin:
> > > From: Stephen Hemminger [mailto:stephen@networkplumber.org]

> > allowed.
> > licensed.
> > >
> > > Yes, I agree with you. To be clearer, rte_pci_dev_feature_defs.h
> > > should be in dual liceses, and rte_pci_dev_features.h should be in GPL
> > license.
> >
> > Yes, it is an error from this commit:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=88701645c98c9c88
> > These definitions were moved from a GPL file so they should keep the GPL
> > header.
> > Then it is used in EAL:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=ff0b67d1c868c19
> > So it must be dual licensed, like for rte_pci_dev_ids.h:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_eal/common/include/
> > rte_pci_dev_ids.h
>
> Agreed, should have been more careful. Should I make the patch to correct this?

You are welcome :)