* [dpdk-dev] locking around rx_intr_enable/disable?
@ 2019-02-26 18:14 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-02-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I noticed an anomaly in how receive interrupt control is done.

In l3fwd-power there is a per-port lock around calls to enable interrupts
but no locking around the call to disable interrupts.  This looks broken
since intr_disable requires multiple operations on some hardware.

There are three better options:
1) do locking in rte_eth_dev (not application)
2) push any necessary locking down into the driver
3) lock on both places in l3fwd-power (and other usages)

I am thinking #1 is easiest solution.

Which ever solution is done, the documentation should be as well.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] locking around rx_intr_enable/disable?
@ 2019-02-27  8:57 ` Andrew Rybchenko
From: Andrew Rybchenko @ 2019-02-27  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, dev

On 2/26/19 9:14 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I noticed an anomaly in how receive interrupt control is done.
>
> In l3fwd-power there is a per-port lock around calls to enable interrupts
> but no locking around the call to disable interrupts.  This looks broken
> since intr_disable requires multiple operations on some hardware.
>
> There are three better options:
> 1) do locking in rte_eth_dev (not application)
> 2) push any necessary locking down into the driver
> 3) lock on both places in l3fwd-power (and other usages)
>
> I am thinking #1 is easiest solution.
>
> Which ever solution is done, the documentation should be as well.

I think #2 is a way to go - some drivers require locking, some not.
I think it is a bad idea to enforce locking for drivers which do not
require it.

Andrew.