* [dpdk-dev] Random numbers at line-rate
@ 2014-07-21 19:24 Chris Pappas
From: Chris Pappas @ 2014-07-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I need to generate a random number per packet and I used the rte_fast_rand
function to do so. When I run the code for one port-core I get almost
line-rate performance. However, running simultaneously on multiple cores
degrades performance significantly. (in all cases I uses minimum-sized
packets).

Shouldn't the implementation scale for multicore and not degrade
performance or am I missing anything? Also, is there another recommendation
for generating randomness at line-rate? (the cpu does not support rdrand).

Best regards,
Chris