* [dpdk-dev] NO_AUTOLIB is this variable really needed?
@ 2015-04-30 14:55 Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2015-04-30 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

What is the NO_AUTOLIB variable used for anyway, the doc states this:

* NO_AUTOLIBS: If set, the libraries provided by the framework will not be
included in the LDLIBS variable automatically.

Why was this variable created, do we have really good reason? It seems
like the variable removes almost all of the standard libs.

Regards,
++Keith

* Re: [dpdk-dev] NO_AUTOLIB is this variable really needed?
@ 2015-04-30 16:24 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-04-30 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 02:55:47PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> What is the NO_AUTOLIB variable used for anyway, the doc states this:
>

> * NO_AUTOLIBS: If set, the libraries provided by the framework will not be
> included in the LDLIBS variable automatically.
>
> Why was this variable created, do we have really good reason? It seems
> like the variable removes almost all of the standard libs.
>

> Regards,
> ++Keith

I think that is a hang-over from the baremetal days, and can probably go away
now. [It was probably used for the loader app or something]

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] NO_AUTOLIB is this variable really needed?
@ 2015-04-30 16:26   ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2015-04-30 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Bruce; +Cc: dev

On 4/30/15, 11:24 AM, "Richardson, Bruce" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 02:55:47PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
>> What is the NO_AUTOLIB variable used for anyway, the doc states this:
>>

>> * NO_AUTOLIBS: If set, the libraries provided by the framework will not
>>be
>> included in the LDLIBS variable automatically.
>>
>> Why was this variable created, do we have really good reason? It seems
>> like the variable removes almost all of the standard libs.
>>

>> Regards,
>> ++Keith
>>
>I think that is a hang-over from the baremetal days, and can probably go
>away
>now. [It was probably used for the loader app or something]

Do we want me to submit a patch to remove it? A new patch set :-)

@ 2015-05-01  9:10     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-05-01  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 05:26:57PM +0100, Wiles, Keith wrote:

> On 4/30/15, 11:24 AM, "Richardson, Bruce" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 02:55:47PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> >> What is the NO_AUTOLIB variable used for anyway, the doc states this:
> >>

> >> * NO_AUTOLIBS: If set, the libraries provided by the framework will not
> >>be
> >> included in the LDLIBS variable automatically.
> >>
> >> Why was this variable created, do we have really good reason? It seems
> >> like the variable removes almost all of the standard libs.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> ++Keith
> >>
> >I think that is a hang-over from the baremetal days, and can probably go
> >away
> >now. [It was probably used for the loader app or something]
>
> Do we want me to submit a patch to remove it? A new patch set :-)

If it's completely unused in DPDK, it should be removed.
/Bruce