* [dpdk-dev] [BUG] failsafe depending on return value from PMD link_update function.
@ 2018-01-16 18:29 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-01-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gaetan.rivet; +Cc: dev

While doing link status refactoring, I noticed that the eth_dev_link_update function
return value is unused by common code (in rte_eth_dev_link_get); but is being expected
by failsafe driver.

The return values are not consistent across drivers, and link update function is only
valid if device is not using LSC.  Therefore, the failsafe PMD should not be calling
device internal functions directly and expecting a valid return value.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [BUG] failsafe depending on return value from PMD link_update function.
@ 2018-01-16 22:48 ` Gaëtan Rivet
From: Gaëtan Rivet @ 2018-01-16 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 10:29:06AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> While doing link status refactoring, I noticed that the eth_dev_link_update function
> return value is unused by common code (in rte_eth_dev_link_get); but is being expected
> by failsafe driver.
>
> The return values are not consistent across drivers, and link update function is only
> valid if device is not using LSC.  Therefore, the failsafe PMD should not be calling
> device internal functions directly and expecting a valid return value.

Yes, you are right. I will look into it.

--
Gaëtan Rivet
6WIND