* [dpdk-dev] rte epoll functions
@ 2020-04-27 13:33 Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2020-04-27 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk-dev; +Cc: Liron Himi

Hi,

We noticed that the implementation of rte_epoll_wait doesn't stopped on signal such as SIGINT.

Is anyone know why?

If that on purpose and cannot be changed, how application can exit gracefully when using rx interrupts for example.

Regards,
Liron

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte epoll functions
@ 2020-04-27 14:50 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-04-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi; +Cc: dpdk-dev

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:33:27 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We noticed that the implementation of rte_epoll_wait doesn't stopped on signal such as SIGINT.
>
> Is anyone know why?
>
> If that on purpose and cannot be changed, how application can exit gracefully when using rx interrupts for example.
>
> Regards,
> Liron

I noticed that, submitted a patch, and it has been unmerged for 9 months
https://patchwork.dpdk.org/patch/57047/

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte epoll functions
@ 2020-04-27 15:01   ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2020-04-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: Liron Himi, dpdk-dev

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 4:51 PM Stephen Hemminger
<stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:33:27 +0000
> Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > We noticed that the implementation of rte_epoll_wait doesn't stopped on signal such as SIGINT.
> >
> > Is anyone know why?
> >
> > If that on purpose and cannot be changed, how application can exit gracefully when using rx interrupts for example.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Liron
> >

> I noticed that, submitted a patch, and it has been unmerged for 9 months
> https://patchwork.dpdk.org/patch/57047/

- Indeed, there was no review nor any comment about the "bien fondé"
of this patch for 9 months,
- We don't need a new symbol, this should be fixed + symbol versioning
to keep current behavior.

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte epoll functions
@ 2020-04-27 16:57     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-04-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand; +Cc: Liron Himi, dpdk-dev

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:01:21 +0200
David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 4:51 PM Stephen Hemminger
> <stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:33:27 +0000
> > Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > We noticed that the implementation of rte_epoll_wait doesn't stopped on signal such as SIGINT.
> > >
> > > Is anyone know why?
> > >
> > > If that on purpose and cannot be changed, how application can exit gracefully when using rx interrupts for example.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Liron
> > >

> > I noticed that, submitted a patch, and it has been unmerged for 9 months
> > https://patchwork.dpdk.org/patch/57047/
>
> - Indeed, there was no review nor any comment about the "bien fondé"
> of this patch for 9 months,
> - We don't need a new symbol, this should be fixed + symbol versioning
> to keep current behavior.

We do need a new symbol. People may want the old behavior.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte epoll functions
@ 2020-04-28  1:43       ` Lukasz Wojciechowski
From: Lukasz Wojciechowski @ 2020-04-28  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, David Marchand; +Cc: Liron Himi, dpdk-dev

W dniu 27.04.2020 o 18:57, Stephen Hemminger pisze:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:01:21 +0200
> David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 4:51 PM Stephen Hemminger
>> <stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:

>>> I noticed that, submitted a patch, and it has been unmerged for 9 months
>>> https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=b1d79a91-ec04c185-b1d611de-0cc47a31ce4e-7c8024d7bc014fef&q=1&u=https%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.dpdk.org%2Fpatch%2F57047%2F
>> - Indeed, there was no review nor any comment about the "bien fondé"
>> of this patch for 9 months,
>> - We don't need a new symbol, this should be fixed + symbol versioning
>> to keep current behavior.
>>

> We do need a new symbol. People may want the old behavior.
Do we need new symbol and new functionality?
One can use signalfd to create a file descriptor for set of signals and
just pass it to epoll.

--

Lukasz Wojciechowski
Principal Software Engineer