From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
To: "Xia, Chenbo" <chenbo.xia@intel.com>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	"Liang, Cunming" <cunming.liang@intel.com>,
	"Wu, Jingjing" <jingjing.wu@intel.com>,
	"Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>,
	"Yigit, Ferruh" <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>,
	"mdr@ashroe.eu" <mdr@ashroe.eu>,
	"nhorman@tuxdriver.com" <nhorman@tuxdriver.com>,
	"Richardson, Bruce" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>,
	"david.marchand@redhat.com" <david.marchand@redhat.com>,
	"stephen@networkplumber.org" <stephen@networkplumber.org>,
	"Ananyev, Konstantin" <konstantin.ananyev@intel.com>,
	jgg@nvidia.com, parav@nvidia.com, xuemingl@nvidia.com
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC v3 0/6] Add mdev (Mediated device) support in DPDK
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 09:48:24 +0200	[thread overview]

15/06/2021 04:49, Xia, Chenbo:
> From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> > 01/06/2021 05:06, Chenbo Xia:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > This is a draft implementation of the mdev (Mediated device [1])
> > > support in DPDK PCI bus driver. Mdev is a way to virtualize devices
> > > in Linux kernel. Based on the device-api (mdev_type/device_api),
> > > there could be different types of mdev devices (e.g. vfio-pci).
> >
> > Please could you illustrate with an usage of mdev in DPDK?
> > What does it enable which is not possible today?
>
> The main purpose is for DPDK to drive mdev-based devices, which is not
> possible today.
>
> I'd take PCI devices for an example. Currently DPDK can only drive devices
> of physical pci bus under /sys/bus/pci and kernel exposes the pci devices
> to APP in that way.
>
> But there are PCI devices using vfio-mdev as a software framework to expose
> Mdev to APP under /sys/bus/mdev. Devices could choose this way of virtualizing
> itself to let multiple APPs share one physical device. For example, Intel
> Scalable IOV technology is known to use vfio-mdev as SW framework for Scalable
> IOV enabled devices (and Intel net/crypto/raw devices support this tech). For
> those mdev-based devices, DPDK needs support on the bus layer to scan/plug/probe/..
> them, which is the main effort this patchset does. There are also other devices
> using the vfio-mdev framework, AFAIK, Nvidia's GPU is the first one using mdev
> and Intel's GPU virtualization also uses it.

Yes mdev was designed for virtualization I think.
The use of mdev for Scalable IOV without virtualization
may be seen as an abuse by Linux maintainers,
as they currently seem to prefer the auxiliary bus (which is a real bus).

Mellanox got a push back when trying to use mdev for the same purpose
(Scalable Function, also called Sub-Function) in the kernel.
The Linux community decided to use the auxiliary bus.

Any other feedback on the choice mdev vs aux?
Is there any kernel code supporting this mdev model for Intel devices?

Great, thanks.