* [dpdk-dev] VMDq + DCB: 128 Tx queues
@ 2014-08-01  5:13 Sunil Bojanapally
From: Sunil Bojanapally @ 2014-08-01  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi team,

As per dpdk programming guide on VMDq+DCB will configure each Ethernet
port to 16 pools with 8 queues each. Which means per port will have 128
Rx & Tx queues.

The question is, in order to have end 2 end QoS support the port should
get configured with 128 Rx as well as 128 Tx queues ?

Note: I am considering same port for Rx & Tx.

Thanks,
Sunil

* Re: [dpdk-dev] VMDq + DCB: 128 Tx queues
@ 2014-08-01  7:41 ` Liu, Jijiang
From: Liu, Jijiang @ 2014-08-01  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sunil.bojanapally; +Cc: dev

Yes, if you hope TX is configured DCB mode, and 128 TX queues are needed. In testpmd codes, there is an example how to use 128 RX queue and 128 TX queue simultaneously in vmdq+dcb mode.
The example function is get_eth_dcb_conf() in testpmd.c file.

BRs,
Jijiang Liu

@ 2014-08-01 16:12   ` Sunil Bojanapally
From: Sunil Bojanapally @ 2014-08-01 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liu, Jijiang; +Cc: dev

Thanks Liu for the pointer to function implemented in testpmd.c

Just want to know in RX configured pools, what scheduling method is used in polling the  queues.

-Sunil

@ 2014-08-01 17:38     ` Richardson, Bruce
From: Richardson, Bruce @ 2014-08-01 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Thanks Liu for the pointer to function implemented in testpmd.c
>
> Just want to know in RX configured pools, what scheduling method is used in
> polling the  queues.

How the queues are polled when in vmdq+dcb mode is entirely up to the application, as the queue id passed into the rx_burst function will refer directly to one of the hardware queues to be read. There is no behind-the-scenes magic and prioritization of packets being done, the app knows best what way it wants the packets to be read and processed.

Regards,
/Bruce