* [dpdk-dev] Debugging EAL PCI / Driver Init
@ 2014-08-01 17:51 Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-08-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

I am running into a problem where Eth driver init works fine in a sample app
and finds my NICs, and the NICs appear in rte_eal_pci_dump(stdout) but they
don't show up in rte_eth_dev_count() even after rte_eal_pci_probe() is called
the same as the sample apps, so my app won't boot.

I have a lot of experience using the older versions of the DPDK where you had
to call the PMD init functions manually but no experience with the later
versions where the DPDK is supposed to init the PMDs itself automatically.

What do I have to do to dump the most possible debug output on why the driver
list for my PCI devices always seems empty? Any places I should look to see
the issue? Maybe I didn't link it together with the right DPDK libs? I used
the combined DPDK static lib libintel_dpdk.a to make things simpler as I had
seen recommended in various places.

Thanks,
Matthew.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Debugging EAL PCI / Driver Init
@ 2014-08-02 15:29 ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-08-02 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I did a bit more experimentation and found the following. If I unmark the
rte_igb_pmd_init function as static, and call it directly from my code, the
driver will load, and the port count increments to 2:

EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d45f2000
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d4730000
PMD: eth_igb_dev_init(): port_id 0 vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1521

EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.1 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d0f00000
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d472c000
PMD: eth_igb_dev_init(): port_id 1 vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1521

So it seems like when you enable these options:

# Combine to one single library
CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_COMBINE_LIBS=y
CONFIG_RTE_LIBNAME="intel_dpdk"

You don't really get a working DPDK inside of "-lintel_dpdk". Someone
suggested linking with "-Xlinker -lintel_dpdk" but that didn't seem to help.

Is there a secret to getting a single integrated static library, where all of
the PMD's end up in the PCI driver list so rte_eal_pci_probe can find them? Or
some secret to linking against the combined library which works properly?

Matthew.

@ 2014-08-02 15:43   ` Matthew Hall
       [not found]     ` <CAFLKUzKOPxC4jQBG6C07QXJ=MrcydxG9FdHD6h7omj6BY=99LQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-08-02 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Also, when using the separate libraries the problem still happens:

-lethdev -lrte_cfgfile -lrte_cmdline -lrte_distributor -lrte_hash
-lrte_ip_frag -lrte_lpm -lrte_malloc -lrte_mbuf -lrte_mempool -lrte_pmd_e1000
-lrte_pmd_pcap -lrte_pmd_virtio_uio -lrte_pmd_vmxnet3_uio -lrte_port
-lrte_ring -lrte_table -lrte_timer -lrte_eal -lbsd -ldl -lpcap -lpthread

So it seems there is a special order or link technique which must be used, or
rte_eal's PCI code won't be able to load the PMD's during PCI probing. Is it
documented anywhere how to get that to work?

Thanks,
Matthew.

@ 2014-08-02 16:46       ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-08-02 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masaru Oki; +Cc: dev

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:37:06AM +0900, Masaru Oki wrote:
> cc links library funtion from archive only if call from other object.
> but new dpdk pmd library has constractor section and not call directly.
> ld always links library funtion with constractor section.
> use -Xlinker, or use ld instead of cc.

Hello Oki-san,

The trick to fix it was this, I finally found it in the example Makefiles with
V=1 flag.

-Wl,--whole-archive -Wl,--start-group -lintel_dpdk -Wl,--end-group -Wl,--no-whole-archive

Thank you for the advice you provided, I couldn't have fixed it without your
suggestions... it got me to look more closely at the linking. Importantly,
"-Wl,--whole-archive" includes the entire archive whether or not it's called
from other objects, so we don't lose the constructors, just like you said.

@ 2014-08-03 10:38         ` Alex Markuze
From: Alex Markuze @ 2014-08-03 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

Hi Matt, Dev
I'm Trying to compile ann app linking to dpdk and dpdk based libs.
And I'm seeing the same issue you've reported.
The probe function doesn't seem to find any ixgbevf(SRIOV VM) ports.
Same code compiled as a dpdk app works fine.

In your solution to this issue you are referring to  -lintel_dpdk? I
couldn't find any reference to it.

Thanks
Alex.

@ 2014-08-03 11:41           ` Alex Markuze
From: Alex Markuze @ 2014-08-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

Resolved just as Matt has described.
To remove any ambiguity (for future reference).

This line in the gcc command resolves the issue in my case (a
different nic may need a different lib):
--whole-archive -Wl,--start-group -lrte_pmd_ixgbe -Wl,--end-group -Wl,

The problem is that the probe command polls over all pci devices and
tries to find a matching driver, these drivers register
With these macros which will only be called when the --whole-archive
option is provided and its actually the reason for this flags
existence. Without this flag the driver list is empty.

PMD_REGISTER_DRIVER(rte_ixgbe_driver);
PMD_REGISTER_DRIVER(rte_ixgbevf_driver);

@ 2014-08-03 17:23             ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-08-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Markuze; +Cc: dev

There is an option in the DPDK build config which compiles every DPDK lib into a single static lib. I don't have the name of the option in front of me but it had COMBINE in its name. When this option is used you can get every function in the whole DPDK with a single library. After that I had a lot fewer linking issues.

Matthew.
--
Sent from my mobile device.

@ 2014-08-03 18:13               ` Jayakumar, Muthurajan
From: Jayakumar, Muthurajan @ 2014-08-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall, Alex Markuze; +Cc: dev

Are you referring to CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_COMBINE_LIBS ?

(ps: referenced here http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2013-October/000639.html)

Thanks,
M Jay

@ 2014-08-03 21:39                 ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-08-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayakumar, Muthurajan, Alex Markuze; +Cc: dev

Yes, that's the one! It made a lot of my linking problems go away when I used that along with the whole-archive flags.

Matthew
--
Sent from my mobile device.