From: "Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>
To: oulijun <oulijun@huawei.com>,
	"Hunt, David" <david.hunt@intel.com>,
	David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
Cc: Van Haaren Harry <harry.van.haaren@intel.com>, dev <dev@dpdk.org>,
	"Pattan, Reshma" <reshma.pattan@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] 【BUG REPORT】l3fwd-power can not exit by ctrl+c
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:24:15 +0100	[thread overview]

On 26-May-20 4:50 AM, oulijun wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have update the code into 20.05-rc2. However, the l3fwd-power
> startup fail.
>
> [root@centos-C3 build]# l3fwd-power -w 0000:7d:00.1  -c 0xc000000 -n 4
> -- -P -p 0x01 --config '(0,0,27)' --parse-ptype
> EAL: Detected 128 lcore(s)
> EAL: Detected 4 NUMA nodes
> EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
> EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'PA'
> EAL: No available hugepages reported in hugepages-2048kB
> EAL: No available hugepages reported in hugepages-32768kB
> EAL: No available hugepages reported in hugepages-64kB
> EAL: Probing VFIO support...
> EAL: VFIO support initialized
> EAL:   using IOMMU type 1 (Type 1)
> EAL: Ignore mapping IO port bar(1)
> EAL: Ignore mapping IO port bar(3)
> EAL: Probe PCI driver: net_hns3 (19e5:a221) device: 0000:7d:00.1 (socket 0)
> No telemetry legacy support - No legacy callbacks, legacy socket not
> created
> Promiscuous mode selected
> soft parse-ptype is enabled
> POWER: Env isn't set yet!
> POWER: Attempting to initialise ACPI cpufreq power management...
> POWER: Power management governor of lcore 26 has been set to user space
> successfully
> POWER: File not opened
> POWER: Cannot get available frequencies of lcore 26
> POWER: Attempting to initialise PSTAT power management...
> POWER: Power management governor of lcore 26 has been set to performance
> successfully
> POWER: Error opening '/dev/cpu/26/msr': No such file or directory
> POWER: Cannot init for setting frequency for lcore 26
> POWER: Attempting to initialise VM power management...
> GUEST_CHANNEL: Opening channel
> '/dev/virtio-ports/virtio.serial.port.poweragent.26' for lcore 26
> GUEST_CHANNEL: Unable to to connect to
> '/dev/virtio-ports/virtio.serial.port.poweragent.26' with error No such
> file or directory
> POWER: Unable to set Power Management Environment for lcore 26
> POWER: Library initialization failed on core 26
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>    Cause: init_power_library failed
>
> Thanks
> Lijun Ou

Hi,

Previously, l3fwd-power was very lax in what it was allowing. Now, if it
can't enable power management, it will not run, because it is more
strict in what it allows.

As is shown in the log, it tries to initialize ACPI power management,
but fails. Then, it tries to initialize pstate mode, and it appears that
MSR driver is not loaded, so it doesn't work either. It also tries to
check if a KVM channel exists, which doesn't, and that fails as well.
So, no power management environment can be enabled, and the application
fails to start.

In order to make it work, you should either boot in ACPI mode (kernel
parameter: "intel_pstate=disable"), or load the MSR driver (root
command: modprobe msr).

This more strict power library initialization was added because we saw
people misusing l3fwd-power to attempt to run without power management
environment being initialized (such as inside a VM while not having
telemetry mode enabled), which it was not designed to do and which would
be an invalid test.

Anatoly