* [dpdk-dev] No information about needed pcap version
@ 2014-01-09 11:59 Mats Liljegren
From: Mats Liljegren @ 2014-01-09 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

In file lib/librte_pmd_pcap/rte_eth_pcap.h there is a test to see
whether function pcap_sendpacket is a macro or not. If not, send is
not supported using pcap.

My pcap library do have the function, but not defined as a macro.

I'm using libpcap-dev version 1.4.0, but I couldn't find any
information in the manuals what version I need.

Which version do I need to make this work?

Regards
Mats

* Re: [dpdk-dev] No information about needed pcap version
@ 2014-01-09 13:47 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2014-01-09 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Liljegren; +Cc: dev

Hello,

Indeed, this check on a define is wrong.

pcap.h does not seem to have information on library version (nor a #define
linked to pcap_sendpacket functionality).

We need to think of a better check but, for now, you can try to #define
PCAP_SEND to 1 in lib/librte_pmd_pcap/rte_eth_pcap.h.
pcap_sendpacket() is undefined for really old versions of libpcap (I think
< 1.0.0).
I suppose we might need something like configure (trying to link against
pcap lib and see if pcap_sendpacket symbol is defined).

Or we can revert 4fc6677d995bb46ddf155ee08a215f41e5ecbfe8 and declare
libpcap < X.X.X unsupported.

--
David Marchand

@ 2014-01-09 13:55   ` Mats Liljegren
From: Mats Liljegren @ 2014-01-09 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand; +Cc: dev

You could let PCAP_SEND be always 1 in rte_eth_pcap.h and then
document that for libpcap < 1.0.0 you need to change PCAP_SEND to 0 to
avoid link error for pcap_sendpacket().

Regards
Mats