* [dpdk-dev] Can pthread_create be called directly in a dpdk application?
@ 2015-08-14 10:13 Rajesh R
From: Rajesh R @ 2015-08-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I am relatively new to dpdk. I could make the examples work.

Now I am experimenting with a traffic measurement application which capture
packets using dpdk. The application requires few other threads apart from
the rte_threads.
If I put the code for thread creation (pthread_create()) before calling
eal_rte_init and remote_launch, the rte_init/remote launch is not
proceeding. But if I put the eal_rte_init()/remote_launch first it is
working, but coee will wait there and would not proceed to the subsequent
lines

How to do it correctly?

--
Regards

Rajesh R

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Can pthread_create be called directly in a dpdk application?
@ 2015-08-14 10:18 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-08-14 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajesh R; +Cc: dev

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 06:13:46AM -0400, Rajesh R wrote:
> I am relatively new to dpdk. I could make the examples work.
>
> Now I am experimenting with a traffic measurement application which capture
> packets using dpdk. The application requires few other threads apart from
> the rte_threads.
> If I put the code for thread creation (pthread_create()) before calling
> eal_rte_init and remote_launch, the rte_init/remote launch is not
> proceeding. But if I put the eal_rte_init()/remote_launch first it is
> working, but coee will wait there and would not proceed to the subsequent
> lines
>
> How to do it correctly?
>
> --
Hi Rajesh

there should be no issues with spawning extra threads using pthread_create in
your application. Can you provide a few more specifics and perhaps snippets of
code which exhibit the problem. For example, when spawning the threads before
init and remote launch - can you clarify in what way it is "not proceding"? Does
it do nothing, does it hang, does it crash etc.? Similarly, putting the
pthread later, where exactly does it wait? Does gdb show anything of interest,
or show more specifics as to what the thread is waiting on?

Regards,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Can pthread_create be called directly in a dpdk application?
@ 2015-08-15  6:47   ` Rajesh R
From: Rajesh R @ 2015-08-15  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Bruce Richardson <
bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 06:13:46AM -0400, Rajesh R wrote:
> > I am relatively new to dpdk. I could make the examples work.
> >
> > Now I am experimenting with a traffic measurement application which
> capture
> > packets using dpdk. The application requires few other threads apart from
> > the rte_threads.
> > If I put the code for thread creation (pthread_create()) before calling
> > eal_rte_init and remote_launch, the rte_init/remote launch is not
> > proceeding. But if I put the eal_rte_init()/remote_launch first it is
> > working, but coee will wait there and would not proceed to the subsequent
> > lines
> >
> > How to do it correctly?
> >
> > --
> Hi Rajesh
>
> there should be no issues with spawning extra threads using pthread_create
> in
> your application. Can you provide a few more specifics and perhaps
> snippets of
> code which exhibit the problem. For example, when spawning the threads
> before
> init and remote launch - can you clarify in what way it is "not
> proceding"? Does
> it do nothing, does it hang, does it crash etc.? Similarly, putting the
> pthread later, where exactly does it wait? Does gdb show anything of
> interest,
> or show more specifics as to what the thread is waiting on?
>
> Regards,
> /Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for a quick reply. Sory it was my mistake.

I realized I was doing the mistake of putting the
pthread_join()/rte_eal_wait_lcore() before the next segment of code and the
control was waiting there.
Now by moving those waiting part to the end of the complete code I  could
make it work.

It works in either ways, putting pthread_create() first or
rte_eal_remote_launch() first.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Rajesh R