* [dpdk-dev] Receiving packets on only one port
@ 2015-06-26 15:45 Daeyoung Kim
From: Daeyoung Kim @ 2015-06-26 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

I'm writing a packet capture program from the l3fwd. When I send DNS
packets, the wireshark simultaneously gets all the packets on two ports.
However, using my program with promiscuous mode, one port receives all the
packets, but the other port gets nothing. Do you know why it happens? Could
it be network topology problem using DPDK, a DPDK design like forwarding
mechanism, or just my program bugs? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Daeyoung

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Receiving packets on only one port
@ 2015-06-29  0:22 ` Keunhong Lee
From: Keunhong Lee @ 2015-06-29  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daeyoung Kim; +Cc: dev

I don't know your situation exactly, but here are possible problems.

1. Your switch learned MAC addresses of two ports.
2. Your program bug.
3. l3fwd itself contains some bug.
4. You did not set all ports in promiscuous mode.

You'd better try 'pktgen' application to test your environment.

Keunhong.

@ 2015-06-29 14:32   ` Daeyoung Kim
From: Daeyoung Kim @ 2015-06-29 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keunhong Lee; +Cc: dev

Hi Keunhong,

Thank you for your help. Here is the network topology.

DNS Client - Switch 1 - Switch 2 - Switch 3 - DNS Server
                             |                                  |
                         port 0                          port 1

DPDK port 0 receives packets using from the Switch 1 port mirroring and
port 1 receives packets from the Switch 2 using port mirroring as well. As
I already said, when I send DNS packets, the wireshark simultaneously gets
all the packets on two ports. I'm sorry what I told you is incorrect. Using
my program with promiscuous mode, the port 0 receives only DNS queries from
the DNS client, but the port 1 receives only DNS replies from the DNS
server. I'd like to know why it happens.

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Daeyoung

@ 2015-06-29 15:28     ` Keunhong Lee
From: Keunhong Lee @ 2015-06-29 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daeyoung Kim; +Cc: dev

Actually I have no idea why this happens.
If your switch configuration is correct, your program should work just like
Wireshark does.
I wander whether your program uses RSS.
In my opinion, program bug is the most probable reason.

Keunhong.

@ 2015-06-29 15:39       ` Daeyoung Kim
From: Daeyoung Kim @ 2015-06-29 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keunhong Lee; +Cc: dev

OK, I see. My program uses RSS. Is it related to my problem? If the testpmd
application does not work, the switch configuration might be wrong. Am I
right?

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,
Daeyoung

@ 2015-06-29 15:44         ` Keunhong Lee
From: Keunhong Lee @ 2015-06-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daeyoung Kim; +Cc: dev

Check that whether you are polling all RX queues of your program.
You said that your configuration works well with Wireshark.
So I don't think that this is the problem.

You can check your port statistics for the number of received packets.
If the statistics show 2 packets, but you received 1 packet, then your
program might have mistakes.

Keunhong.

@ 2015-06-30 18:22           ` Daeyoung Kim
From: Daeyoung Kim @ 2015-06-30 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keunhong Lee; +Cc: dev

I found my problem that one of switches has VLAN option. So basic l3fwd
cannot just look into the packets. Now I solved the problem. Thank you for
your help.

Regards,
Daeyoung