* [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-13 17:36 Liang Ma
From: Liang Ma @ 2021-04-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: bruce.richardson

Hi Bruce,
   I look into current IOAT PMD. I found that looks only support the
   latest DSA device which is part of SPR(Please correct me if I'm wrong).
   However, there still is lots existing CPU that support previous CBDMA
   Intel Quick-DATA technology. SPDK enable those device with uio.
   Any hint to enable those CBDMA device with IOAT PMD ?

   Many thanks
Best Regards
Liang

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-13 18:24 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2021-04-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Ma; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 06:36:38PM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>    I look into current IOAT PMD. I found that looks only support the
>    latest DSA device which is part of SPR(Please correct me if I'm wrong).
>    However, there still is lots existing CPU that support previous CBDMA
>    Intel Quick-DATA technology. SPDK enable those device with uio.
>    Any hint to enable those CBDMA device with IOAT PMD ?

Hi Liang,

These devices are still supported by the driver. In the latest releases the
new device support was added but no older device support was removed.
Please let us know if you do hit any problems with running it on the CBDMA
HW devices, because it should all still be working as before.

Regards,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-14 10:37   ` Liang Ma
From: Liang Ma @ 2021-04-14 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:24:41PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 06:36:38PM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> > Hi Bruce,
> >    I look into current IOAT PMD. I found that looks only support the
> >    latest DSA device which is part of SPR(Please correct me if I'm wrong).
> >    However, there still is lots existing CPU that support previous CBDMA
> >    Intel Quick-DATA technology. SPDK enable those device with uio.
> >    Any hint to enable those CBDMA device with IOAT PMD ?
> >

> Hi Liang,
>
> These devices are still supported by the driver. In the latest releases the
> new device support was added but no older device support was removed.
> Please let us know if you do hit any problems with running it on the CBDMA
> HW devices, because it should all still be working as before.
>
> Regards,
> /Bruce
Hi Bruce,
   I hit a problem with CBDMA enabling.

   1. I follow the DPDK  IOAT driver Doc, I bind 0000.04.0 device with
      dpdk-devbind.py

   2. I run dpdk-test without any parameter then dpdk-test complain with

       EAL: VFIO support initialized
       EAL: 0000:00:04.0 VFIO group is not viable! Not all devices in IOMMU
       group bound to VFIO or unbound
       Requested device 0000:00:04.0 cannot be used

   3. kernel boot parameter include the "intel_iommu=on"

   If I still need some extra iommu settings for CBDMA device ?

@ 2021-04-14 10:48     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2021-04-14 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Ma; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:37:48AM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:24:41PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 06:36:38PM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> > > Hi Bruce,
> > >    I look into current IOAT PMD. I found that looks only support the
> > >    latest DSA device which is part of SPR(Please correct me if I'm wrong).
> > >    However, there still is lots existing CPU that support previous CBDMA
> > >    Intel Quick-DATA technology. SPDK enable those device with uio.
> > >    Any hint to enable those CBDMA device with IOAT PMD ?
> > >

> > Hi Liang,
> >
> > These devices are still supported by the driver. In the latest releases the
> > new device support was added but no older device support was removed.
> > Please let us know if you do hit any problems with running it on the CBDMA
> > HW devices, because it should all still be working as before.
> >
> > Regards,
> > /Bruce
> Hi Bruce,
>    I hit a problem with CBDMA enabling.
>
>    1. I follow the DPDK  IOAT driver Doc, I bind 0000.04.0 device with
>       dpdk-devbind.py
>
>    2. I run dpdk-test without any parameter then dpdk-test complain with
>
>        EAL: VFIO support initialized
>        EAL: 0000:00:04.0 VFIO group is not viable! Not all devices in IOMMU
>        group bound to VFIO or unbound
>        Requested device 0000:00:04.0 cannot be used
>
>    3. kernel boot parameter include the "intel_iommu=on"
>
>    If I still need some extra iommu settings for CBDMA device ?

It's an IOMMU limitation, not just for CBDMA but for other devices like
NICs too - you need to ensure all subfunctions on a device are all bound to
the same IOMMU group. So for the CBDMA instance, to use one channel with
vfio, the other channels on the device also need to be bound to vfio, or
else not bound to any driver. If bound to the kernel driver, there will be
IOMMU conflicts as we can't split the channels between kernel and userspace
address spaces.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-14 12:52       ` Liang Ma
From: Liang Ma @ 2021-04-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:48:03AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:37:48AM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hi Liang,
> > >
> > > These devices are still supported by the driver. In the latest releases the
> > > new device support was added but no older device support was removed.
> > > Please let us know if you do hit any problems with running it on the CBDMA
> > > HW devices, because it should all still be working as before.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > /Bruce
> > Hi Bruce,
> >    I hit a problem with CBDMA enabling.
> >
> >    1. I follow the DPDK  IOAT driver Doc, I bind 0000.04.0 device with
> >       dpdk-devbind.py
> >
> >    2. I run dpdk-test without any parameter then dpdk-test complain with
> >
> >        EAL: VFIO support initialized
> >        EAL: 0000:00:04.0 VFIO group is not viable! Not all devices in IOMMU
> >        group bound to VFIO or unbound
> >        Requested device 0000:00:04.0 cannot be used
> >
> >    3. kernel boot parameter include the "intel_iommu=on"
> >
> >    If I still need some extra iommu settings for CBDMA device ?
> >
> It's an IOMMU limitation, not just for CBDMA but for other devices like
> NICs too - you need to ensure all subfunctions on a device are all bound to
> the same IOMMU group. So for the CBDMA instance, to use one channel with
> vfio, the other channels on the device also need to be bound to vfio, or
> else not bound to any driver. If bound to the kernel driver, there will be
> IOMMU conflicts as we can't split the channels between kernel and userspace
> address spaces.
>
> /Bruce
I bind whole device from 00:04.0 to 00:04.7.   ioat PMD  complain
with  "ioat_rawdev_create(): ioat_rawdev_create: Channel appears
locked".  Any hint?

@ 2021-04-14 13:21         ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2021-04-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Ma; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 01:52:14PM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:48:03AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> > > Hi Bruce,
> > >    I hit a problem with CBDMA enabling.
> > >
> > >    1. I follow the DPDK  IOAT driver Doc, I bind 0000.04.0 device with
> > >       dpdk-devbind.py
> > >
> > >    2. I run dpdk-test without any parameter then dpdk-test complain with
> > >
> > >        EAL: VFIO support initialized
> > >        EAL: 0000:00:04.0 VFIO group is not viable! Not all devices in IOMMU
> > >        group bound to VFIO or unbound
> > >        Requested device 0000:00:04.0 cannot be used
> > >
> > >    3. kernel boot parameter include the "intel_iommu=on"
> > >
> > >    If I still need some extra iommu settings for CBDMA device ?
> > >
> > It's an IOMMU limitation, not just for CBDMA but for other devices like
> > NICs too - you need to ensure all subfunctions on a device are all bound to
> > the same IOMMU group. So for the CBDMA instance, to use one channel with
> > vfio, the other channels on the device also need to be bound to vfio, or
> > else not bound to any driver. If bound to the kernel driver, there will be
> > IOMMU conflicts as we can't split the channels between kernel and userspace
> > address spaces.
> >
> > /Bruce
> I bind whole device from 00:04.0 to 00:04.7.   ioat PMD  complain
> with  "ioat_rawdev_create(): ioat_rawdev_create: Channel appears
> locked".  Any hint?
> Regards
> Liang

That should be a warning only, I think and the device should still be
available. Is that not the case, or is there a later error?

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-14 13:45           ` Liang Ma
From: Liang Ma @ 2021-04-14 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:21:53PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 01:52:14PM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:

> > > It's an IOMMU limitation, not just for CBDMA but for other devices like
> > > NICs too - you need to ensure all subfunctions on a device are all bound to
> > > the same IOMMU group. So for the CBDMA instance, to use one channel with
> > > vfio, the other channels on the device also need to be bound to vfio, or
> > > else not bound to any driver. If bound to the kernel driver, there will be
> > > IOMMU conflicts as we can't split the channels between kernel and userspace
> > > address spaces.
> > >
> > > /Bruce
> > I bind whole device from 00:04.0 to 00:04.7.   ioat PMD  complain
> > with  "ioat_rawdev_create(): ioat_rawdev_create: Channel appears
> > locked".  Any hint?
> > Regards
> > Liang
>
> That should be a warning only, I think and the device should still be
> available. Is that not the case, or is there a later error?
>
> /Bruce
Good news, that's a warning only message, I checked the code.
after probe the device, rawdev_autotest all passed !
Many thanks for your help !
I strongly recommend to add the IOMMU hint of CBDMA(bind whole device)
into the Doc. I think DSA device don't need to do that right ?

@ 2021-04-14 13:49             ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2021-04-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Ma; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:45:06PM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:21:53PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> > > I bind whole device from 00:04.0 to 00:04.7.   ioat PMD  complain
> > > with  "ioat_rawdev_create(): ioat_rawdev_create: Channel appears
> > > locked".  Any hint?
> > > Regards
> > > Liang
> >
> > That should be a warning only, I think and the device should still be
> > available. Is that not the case, or is there a later error?
> >
> > /Bruce
> Good news, that's a warning only message, I checked the code.
> after probe the device, rawdev_autotest all passed !
> Many thanks for your help !
> I strongly recommend to add the IOMMU hint of CBDMA(bind whole device)
> into the Doc. I think DSA device don't need to do that right ?

Each DSA instance appears only as a single device so this would not apply
as it can't be partially in kernel and partially not. However, as I said
previously, the issue is not just relevant to CBDMA, it applies equally to
e.g.  ixgbe or i40e NICs with two ports, or any other device where
different subfunctions must be in the same IOMMU group.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-14 15:31       ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2021-04-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson, Liang Ma; +Cc: dev

On 14-Apr-21 11:48 AM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:37:48AM +0100, Liang Ma wrote:
>>>>

>>> Hi Liang,
>>>
>>> These devices are still supported by the driver. In the latest releases the
>>> new device support was added but no older device support was removed.
>>> Please let us know if you do hit any problems with running it on the CBDMA
>>> HW devices, because it should all still be working as before.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> /Bruce
>> Hi Bruce,
>>     I hit a problem with CBDMA enabling.
>>
>>     1. I follow the DPDK  IOAT driver Doc, I bind 0000.04.0 device with
>>        dpdk-devbind.py
>>
>>     2. I run dpdk-test without any parameter then dpdk-test complain with
>>
>>         EAL: VFIO support initialized
>>         EAL: 0000:00:04.0 VFIO group is not viable! Not all devices in IOMMU
>>         group bound to VFIO or unbound
>>         Requested device 0000:00:04.0 cannot be used
>>
>>     3. kernel boot parameter include the "intel_iommu=on"
>>
>>     If I still need some extra iommu settings for CBDMA device ?
>>
> It's an IOMMU limitation, not just for CBDMA but for other devices like
> NICs too - you need to ensure all subfunctions on a device are all bound to
> the same IOMMU group. So for the CBDMA instance, to use one channel with
> vfio, the other channels on the device also need to be bound to vfio, or
> else not bound to any driver. If bound to the kernel driver, there will be
> IOMMU conflicts as we can't split the channels between kernel and userspace
> address spaces.
>
> /Bruce

Yep, and depending on HW architecture, that just might not be possible
(i've seen this happen before, where all devices on the platform,
including things like GPU, were behind one IOMMU group).

Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-14 15:33             ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2021-04-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Ma, Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On 14-Apr-21 2:45 PM, Liang Ma wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:21:53PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

>>> I bind whole device from 00:04.0 to 00:04.7.   ioat PMD  complain
>>> with  "ioat_rawdev_create(): ioat_rawdev_create: Channel appears
>>> locked".  Any hint?
>>> Regards
>>> Liang
>>
>> That should be a warning only, I think and the device should still be
>> available. Is that not the case, or is there a later error?
>>
>> /Bruce
> Good news, that's a warning only message, I checked the code.
> after probe the device, rawdev_autotest all passed !
> Many thanks for your help !
> I strongly recommend to add the IOMMU hint of CBDMA(bind whole device)
> into the Doc. I think DSA device don't need to do that right ?
> Best Regards
> Liang

This is documented in our VFIO docs [1].

[1]
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#binding-and-unbinding-network-ports-to-from-the-kernel-modules

(see Warning section)

Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about enable CBDMA with ioat PMD ?
@ 2021-04-18 15:00               ` Liang Ma
From: Liang Ma @ 2021-04-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly; +Cc: Bruce Richardson, dev

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 04:33:10PM +0100, Burakov, Anatoly wrote:
> On 14-Apr-21 2:45 PM, Liang Ma wrote:

> > > That should be a warning only, I think and the device should still be
> > > available. Is that not the case, or is there a later error?
> > >
> > > /Bruce
> > Good news, that's a warning only message, I checked the code.
> > after probe the device, rawdev_autotest all passed !
> > Many thanks for your help !
> > I strongly recommend to add the IOMMU hint of CBDMA(bind whole device)
> > into the Doc. I think DSA device don't need to do that right ?
> > Best Regards
> > Liang
> >

> This is documented in our VFIO docs [1].
>
> [1] http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#binding-and-unbinding-network-ports-to-from-the-kernel-modules
Thanks Anatoly.