* [dpdk-users] Failed to bring-up DPDK ports on Azure VM
@ 2021-04-18 12:21 madhukar mythri
From: madhukar mythri @ 2021-04-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

When we tried to launch a DPDK app on Azure VM with 2-queues,
seeing following errors and thus we are not able to receive any traffic
on these NIC ports(MLX5).
On Azure VM, using "net_failsafe" PMD.

=======================
PORT 0 Max supports 16 rx queues and 16 tx queues (driver_name =
net_failsafe, driver_type = 16)
PORT 0 is polling for link-change, interrupts disabled
 *rss_add_actions(): Failed to load BPF section l3_l4 (11): Resource
temporarily unavailable*
 net_failsafe: Failed to create flow on sub_device 1
 add_flow(): create() fails for port 0; Reason: action not supported
===================

This issue is seen with 2-queues only, whereas with 4-queues we are not
seeing this issue.

Does anybody faced similar issue and if any solution/work-around please let
me know.

DPDK version: 20.11
With RHEL: 7.9 version.

Thanks,
Madhukar.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Failed to bring-up DPDK ports on Azure VM
@ 2021-04-18 15:37 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2021-04-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: madhukar mythri; +Cc: users

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:51:09 +0530
madhukar mythri <madhukar.mythri@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When we tried to launch a DPDK app on Azure VM with 2-queues,
> seeing following errors and thus we are not able to receive any traffic
> on these NIC ports(MLX5).
> On Azure VM, using "net_failsafe" PMD.
>
> =======================
> PORT 0 Max supports 16 rx queues and 16 tx queues (driver_name =
> net_failsafe, driver_type = 16)
> PORT 0 is polling for link-change, interrupts disabled
>  *rss_add_actions(): Failed to load BPF section l3_l4 (11): Resource
> temporarily unavailable*
>  net_failsafe: Failed to create flow on sub_device 1
>  add_flow(): create() fails for port 0; Reason: action not supported
> ===================
>
> This issue is seen with 2-queues only, whereas with 4-queues we are not
> seeing this issue.
>
> Does anybody faced similar issue and if any solution/work-around please let
> me know.
>
> DPDK version: 20.11
> With RHEL: 7.9 version.
>
> Thanks,
> Madhukar.

If you are using failsafe, make sure that you have the Mellanox drivers enabled
in your DPDK build, also TAP device. You need to build with rdma-core version 23 or
later, and you need to have the kernel modules for flower, multiq, and TAP.

Turn on full DPDK logging and check the kernel log (dmesg).

* Re: [dpdk-users] Failed to bring-up DPDK ports on Azure VM
@ 2021-04-19  6:28   ` madhukar mythri
From: madhukar mythri @ 2021-04-19  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stephen; +Cc: users

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for quick response.
Yes this error is from a TAP driver from DPDK, but why this error/issue
occurs only when configured with -2queues only ?
Whereas with single or 4 queues it works Rx/Tx traffic works well.

And also, this issue occurs only on single port-0, whereas on other ports
this error/issue is not seen.

@ 2021-04-19 15:10     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2021-04-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: madhukar mythri; +Cc: users

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:58:22 +0530
madhukar mythri <madhukar.mythri@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thanks for quick response.
> Yes this error is from a TAP driver from DPDK, but why this error/issue
> occurs only when configured with -2queues only ?
> Whereas with single or 4 queues it works Rx/Tx traffic works well.
>
> And also, this issue occurs only on single port-0, whereas on other ports
> this error/issue is not seen.
>

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 9:08 PM Stephen Hemminger <
> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:51:09 +0530
> > madhukar mythri <madhukar.mythri@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When we tried to launch a DPDK app on Azure VM with 2-queues,
> > > seeing following errors and thus we are not able to receive any traffic
> > > on these NIC ports(MLX5).
> > > On Azure VM, using "net_failsafe" PMD.
> > >
> > > =======================
> > > PORT 0 Max supports 16 rx queues and 16 tx queues (driver_name =
> > > net_failsafe, driver_type = 16)
> > > PORT 0 is polling for link-change, interrupts disabled
> > >  *rss_add_actions(): Failed to load BPF section l3_l4 (11): Resource
> > > temporarily unavailable*
> > >  net_failsafe: Failed to create flow on sub_device 1
> > >  add_flow(): create() fails for port 0; Reason: action not supported
> > > ===================
> > >
> > > This issue is seen with 2-queues only, whereas with 4-queues we are not
> > > seeing this issue.
> > >
> > > Does anybody faced similar issue and if any solution/work-around please
> > let
> > > me know.
> > >
> > > DPDK version: 20.11
> > > With RHEL: 7.9 version.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Madhukar.
> >

> > If you are using failsafe, make sure that you have the Mellanox drivers
> > enabled
> > in your DPDK build, also TAP device. You need to build with rdma-core
> > version 23 or
> > later, and you need to have the kernel modules for flower, multiq, and TAP.
> >
> > Turn on full DPDK logging and check the kernel log (dmesg).

No idea, look at the kernel log.  Might be related to RSS.