* [dpdk-users] To enable offloading DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS per port and per queue
@ 2019-04-08  1:48 Anupama Laxmi
From: Anupama Laxmi @ 2019-04-08  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I would like to enable per port offloading to set TX offloading for
multiple segments using DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS. UDP packets were getting
dropped with error Bad UDP length > IP payload length as seen in the
wireshark capture. This issue is seen after I upgraded to DPDK 18.08. Hence
I would like to set the offload DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS per port to allow
segmenation of big packets.

I am getting the below error when I try to set the above offload.

Ethdev port_id=0 tx_queue_id=0, new added offloads 0x9f3e55 must be within
pre-queue offload capabilities 0x0 in rte_eth_tx_queue_setup()

Please let me know where I am going wrong and how do I set the offload
DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS correctly.

static const struct rte_eth_txconf tx_conf = {
    .tx_thresh = {
        .pthresh = TX_PTHRESH,
        .hthresh = TX_HTHRESH,
        .wthresh = TX_WTHRESH,
    },
    .tx_free_thresh = 0,
    .tx_rs_thresh = 0,
};

static struct rte_eth_conf port_conf = {
        .rxmode = {
                .mq_mode = ETH_MQ_RX_RSS,
                .max_rx_pkt_len = JUMBO_FRAME_MAX_SIZE,
                .split_hdr_size = 0,
                .offloads = (DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_CHECKSUM |
                             DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_CRC_STRIP),
        },
        .rx_adv_conf = {
                .rss_conf = {
                        .rss_key = NULL,
                        .rss_hf = ETH_RSS_TCP| ETH_RSS_UDP |
                             ETH_RSS_TCP | ETH_RSS_SCTP,
                },
        },
        .txmode = {
                .mq_mode = ETH_MQ_TX_NONE,
        },
};

struct rte_eth_txconf *tx_conf;
struct rte_eth_conf local_port_conf = port_conf;
if(dev_info.tx_offload_capa & DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS)
        {

           local_port_conf.txmode.offloads |= DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS;
        }
ret = rte_eth_dev_configure(port, nbqueue, nbqueue, &local_port_conf);
rte_eth_dev_info_get(port, &dev_info);
        tx_conf = &dev_info.default_txconf;
        tx_conf->offloads = local_port_conf.txmode.offloads;

        ret = rte_eth_tx_queue_setup(port, queue, RTE_TEST_TX_DESC_DEFAULT,
master_socket_id, &tx_conf);

* Re: [dpdk-users] To enable offloading DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS per port and per queue
@ 2019-04-08  6:58 ` Shyam Shrivastav
From: Shyam Shrivastav @ 2019-04-08  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anupama Laxmi; +Cc: users

The particular offload might be pure per port rather than per queue, anyway
you are enabling it at port level so no need to enable per queue.

Documentation is available at
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/poll_mode_drv.html , some relevant
excerpt

The dev_info->[rt]x_queue_offload_capa returned from rte_eth_dev_info_get()
includes all per-queue offloading capabilities. The
dev_info->[rt]x_offload_capa returned from rte_eth_dev_info_get() includes
all pure per-port and per-queue offloading capabilities. Supported offloads
can be either per-port or per-queue.

@ 2019-04-09  3:30   ` Anupama Laxmi
From: Anupama Laxmi @ 2019-04-09  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shyam Shrivastav; +Cc: users

Hi Shrivastav,

Thanks.I suppose setting only

DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS offload is required for

IP fragmentation to taken into effect?Please confirm.

One more query:
 I am attaching the pcap here which shows BAD UDP payload length( 736)
greater than IP payload length (728).
UDP payload length 736 is less than MTU (1500)  so why I am getting this
error.
Whether this tx offload setting

DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS will really help solve this packet transmission issue.

Only if the packet length > MTU then only I suppose packet would be
fragmented based on tx offload setting

DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS.

Best Regards,
Suchetha