* [dpdk-users] Enable MLX5 driver v20.11
@ 2020-12-12 23:22 Gerry Wan
From: Gerry Wan @ 2020-12-12 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,
I am trying to update my DPDK version from 20.08 to 20.11. I am using the
mlx5 driver, and previously to enable it I had to set
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MLX5_PMD=y in config/common_base. In 20.11, I see no
option to do so. I was able to build my application (and the sample
applications), but running rte_eth_dev_count_avail() returns 0 and cannot
find any ports.

The steps I did to build DPDK from source were:

$ meson build

$ cd build

$ sudo ninja install

$ sudo ldconfig

Normally I would edit dpdk-20.xx/config/common_base before meson build, but
that file is gone.

What are the steps I need to take to enable mlx5 driver? I also recall that
I don't need to bind the mlx5 driver, is that still the case?

Thanks

* Re: [dpdk-users] Enable MLX5 driver v20.11
@ 2020-12-13  8:35 ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2020-12-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Wan, users

Hi Gerry,

Starting V20.11 the build system was switched to use meson only,
And if you have necessary packages for MLX5 (a.k. rdma-core) it will be built automatically.

As for your question if you still don't need to bind mlx5 driver that's true, its still valid.

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh

@ 2020-12-13 11:25   ` Gerry Wan
From: Gerry Wan @ 2020-12-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raslan Darawsheh; +Cc: users

Thanks,
I updated my MLNX_OFED to 5.1-2.5.8.0, which was tested against for this
DPDK release.
To install, I ran ./mlnxofedinstall --dpdk --upstream-libs --with-mft
--with-kernel-mft
then /etc/init.d/openibd restart
Now, ninja install gives me ../drivers/net/mlx4/mlx4_glue.h:16:10: fatal
error: infiniband/mlx4dv.h: No such file or directory

What other steps am I missing?

@ 2020-12-13 11:31     ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2020-12-13 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Wan; +Cc: users

Starting OFED 5.1 it stopped the support for MLX4 pmd
And seems that you have some libmlx4 under your local lib dir,
In the meanwhile what you can do when doing ninja is to disable mxl4 compilation:

meson build -D disable_driver=net/mlx4; ninja -C build

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh

@ 2020-12-13 21:04       ` Gerry Wan
From: Gerry Wan @ 2020-12-13 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raslan Darawsheh; +Cc: users

OK, I was able to build it this way.
However, it seems that it still does not solve my problem where the
application detects no ports available. I am building it outside the
development kit using Make. It appears the same issue happens with the
provided sample applications. If I compile the "skeleton" sample
application with make, running it will error saying no ports available. If
I compile it using meson (meson configure -Dexamples=skeleton) and then run
it through ./<build_dir>/examples/dpdk-skeleton it works fine. How can I
compile the applications outside of the development kit? The current
documentation says this should still be possible using make as before.

@ 2020-12-14  5:32         ` Gerry Wan
From: Gerry Wan @ 2020-12-14  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raslan Darawsheh; +Cc: users

I've found that linking with static libraries will fix this problem, but
using shared libraries continues to successfully build but at runtime will
not find any ports despite having devices bound to DPDK compatible drivers.
Perhaps I am linking against library executables from the old DPDK version?
If this is likely the case, how can I fix this to work with shared
libraries?

@ 2020-12-14  8:27           ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2020-12-14  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Wan; +Cc: users

So here is how we link against shared libs:

meson build-meson -D disable_drivers=net/mlx4  --default-library=shared && ninja -C build-meson
and when you want to run an application like testpmd for example:

./dpdk-testpmd -n 4 -a 0000:08:00.0  -d $PATH_TO_BUILD/build-meson/drivers/librte_mempool_ring.so -d $PATH_TO_BUILD/build-meson/drivers/librte_net_mlx5.so -d $PATH_TO_BUILD/build-meson/drivers/librte_common_mlx5.so -d $PATH_TO_BUILD/build-meson/drivers/librte_regex_mlx5.so -d $PATH_TO_BUILD/build-meson/drivers/librte_vdpa_mlx5.so -- -i

Let me know if it works for you

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh

@ 2020-12-14  8:40             ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2020-12-14  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raslan Darawsheh, Gerry Wan; +Cc: users

By the way, I've added to my example also the path to vdpa and regex driver which are not needed if you are using only net pmd.

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh