* Dpdk packet reception
@ 2023-03-10 20:57 Rajasekhar Pulluru
From: Rajasekhar Pulluru @ 2023-03-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi Team,

Would like to know if dpdk has a select(fd)/epoll(fd) like mechanism to
wake-up the application (say rx-pthread) asynchronously upon packet
reception without enabling rxq interrupts?

I can't afford to lose a cpu-core polling continuously to check for packets
using rte_eth_rx_burst.And I only have 1 core to receive packets from
multiple ports.I don't want to use usleep of fixed timeout between
rte_eth_rx_burst api invocation, as it potentially could lead to packets
being rx-missed in 1 or more ports.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajasekhar

* RE: Dpdk packet reception
@ 2023-03-13 16:14 ` Alexander Kozyrev
From: Alexander Kozyrev @ 2023-03-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajasekhar Pulluru; +Cc: dev

Hi Rajasekhar, Power Management API can “put the CPU into optimized power state and monitor the Ethernet PMD RX descriptor address, waking the CPU up whenever there’s new traffic”.
Please take a look at the rte_power_monitor() and dpdk-l3fwd-power application example to see if it works for you. What platform do you use? It is only supported on recent Intel CPUs and ARMs.

Regards,
Alex

@ 2023-03-14 14:39   ` Rajasekhar Pulluru
From: Rajasekhar Pulluru @ 2023-03-14 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)