DPDK community structure changes
From: Francois Ozog <francois.ozog@linaro.org>
To: "O'Driscoll, Tim" <tim.odriscoll@intel.com>
Cc: Dave Neary <dneary@redhat.com>,
	Michael Dolan <mdolan@linuxfoundation.org>,
	"moving@dpdk.org" <moving@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, November 29th
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 10:00:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Tim,

First, thank you for being so patient. As per LNG members, you have silicon
vendors, distro vendors, NEPs. I am sure you saw that not all NEPs are
contributing. Some may, some are not contributing code at all even if they
active in the community.

More importantly, contributing does not mean building and selling products
that include DPDK. DPDK can be/become a playground to learn about userland
network IO while products are built on derived proprietary technology.

Let's rephrase: I am not mandating a CLA, I just stress that intellectual
property and licensing aspects are better off handled at the bengining. As
per Mike Dolan, Apache 2 is also a good approach. I hope every contributor
have gone (or are going to go) through due dilligence about selling
products based on DPDK with its counsel.

When you say "Depending on their company's legal policy, that may slow down
or block contributions.": hopefully you don't think there is a need for
legal intervention for each contribution. right? there is just one CLA to
be established at the first contribution.
And I hope you don't mean that people don't go to legal because they know
they will block contributions so they keep low profile and contribute: that
would be a very bad corporate responsability behavior!

Cordially,

François-Frédéric

On 1 December 2016 at 22:33, O'Driscoll, Tim <tim.odriscoll@intel.com>