* Are Intel CPUs better than AMD CPUs for DPDK applications?
@ 2022-02-21 15:14 Staffan Wiklund
From: Staffan Wiklund @ 2022-02-21 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello

Do you know if there is a difference in support for DPDK that is provided by
Intel and AMD CPUs respectively?

I talked to a person today claiming he has learned that Intel CPUs have
been preferred over AMD CPUs for some DPDK applications.
This person had no document showing reasons for this.

Do you have any information on this?
If there is a difference, will the difference be negligible do you think
from a
technical perspective?

Regards
Staffan

* Re: Are Intel CPUs better than AMD CPUs for DPDK applications?
@ 2022-02-21 17:08 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Staffan Wiklund; +Cc: users

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:14:26 +0100
Staffan Wiklund <staffan491@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Do you know if there is a difference in support for DPDK that is provided by
> Intel and AMD CPUs respectively?
>
> I talked to a person today claiming he has learned that Intel CPUs have
> been preferred over AMD CPUs for some DPDK applications.
> This person had no document showing reasons for this.
>
> Do you have any information on this?
> If there is a difference, will the difference be negligible do you think
> from a
> technical perspective?
>
> Regards
> Staffan

There is no one Intel CPU and one AMD CPU. There are lots of types so the
statement is very vague and misleading.

* Re: Are Intel CPUs better than AMD CPUs for DPDK applications?
@ 2022-02-21 20:28   ` Staffan Wiklund
From: Staffan Wiklund @ 2022-02-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Stephen, thanks for your answer.
I realize the statement is very vague.
I was thinking of if there was something common in the design of Intel and
AMD CPUs respectively that has an impact on their use by DPDK applications.
Do you know if there is such a common design difference between Intel and
AMD CPUs or is it just a matter of using an Intel or AMD CPU with the
requested performance?

Regards
Staffan

@ 2022-02-22  1:49     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-22  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Staffan Wiklund; +Cc: users

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:28:08 +0100
Staffan Wiklund <staffan491@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen, thanks for your answer.
> I realize the statement is very vague.
> I was thinking of if there was something common in the design of Intel and
> AMD CPUs respectively that has an impact on their use by DPDK applications.
> Do you know if there is such a common design difference between Intel and
> AMD CPUs or is it just a matter of using an Intel or AMD CPU with the
> requested performance?
>
> Regards
> Staffan

I am not a CPU expert. But compare memory bandwidth, clock rate, PCI Express version
and support for AVX support (for some features). There a few places in DPDK
that can use AVX512 but it is limited
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/howto/avx512.html

Also there is a tradeoff with more cores, NUMA, etc as well as cost.

Don't believe simple tribal knowledge, you need to look under the covers.

* Re: Are Intel CPUs better than AMD CPUs for DPDK applications?
@ 2022-02-22 19:35       ` Staffan Wiklund
From: Staffan Wiklund @ 2022-02-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users