* [dpdk-users] Using Realtek NIC with DPDK
@ 2019-09-06  5:25 Gadre Nayan
From: Gadre Nayan @ 2019-09-06  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi DPDK Users,

I have the following NIC on my DELL Laptop running Ubuntu OS

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)
    LnkSta:    Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

I have 1 socket, 2 cores per socket and Hyperthreaded (2 logical cores per Core)

Since DPDK doesn't support Realtek NICs, is there a way around ?

I was also referring to the mailing list and found a similar discussion:
http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2014-February/001384.html

I couldn't find a sample application which uses the software based
PMDs to be treated as physical NICs.

Thanks
ngadre.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Using Realtek NIC with DPDK
@ 2019-09-27 14:25 ` Gadre Nayan
From: Gadre Nayan @ 2019-09-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I am getting following error with my ip_pipeline application Need help:

./build/ip_pipeline -f ./config/ip_firewall.cfg

Not provided any port mask as I am not using any DPDK compatible NICS,
so disabled ports

[APP] Initializing CPU core map ...
PANIC in app_init_core_map():
Cannot create CPU core map
6: [./build/ip_pipeline(_start+0x29) [0x42cf79]]
5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7feeb0c1e830]]
4: [./build/ip_pipeline(main+0x55) [0x42b375]]
3: [./build/ip_pipeline(app_init+0x12ff) [0x43a18f]]
2: [./build/ip_pipeline(__rte_panic+0xd6) [0x42a3ba]]
1: [./build/ip_pipeline(rte_dump_stack+0x29) [0x4b7779]]
Aborted (core dumped)

The config file used is:
[EAL]
log_level = 9

[PIPELINE0]
type = MASTER
core = 0

[PIPELINE1]
type = INGRESS
core = 1
pktq_out = SWQ0

[PIPELINE2]
type = FIREWALL
core = 2
pktq_in = SWQ0
pktq_out = SWQ1
n_rules = 1024
pkt_type = ipv4

[PIPELINE3]
type = EGRESS
core = 3
pktq_in = SWQ1

I changed the hard-coded values of the below call to suit the "lscpu" output.
app->core_map = cpu_core_map_init(1, 2, 2, 0);

Since I have 1 socket, 2 core per socket and 2 threads per core.
Anything I am missing

@ 2019-09-15 16:53   ` Jim Thompson
From: Jim Thompson @ 2019-09-15 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 曾懷恩; +Cc: users, gadrenayan

You could write a PMD for the Realtek nic(s) of interest.   There is netmap support for some Realtek NICs, so it’s not likely to be impossible.

https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap/blob/master/sys/dev/netmap/if_re_netmap.h

       [not found] <mailman.1.1567764002.2197.users@dpdk.org>
@ 2019-09-15 16:13 ` 曾懷恩
From: 曾懷恩 @ 2019-09-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)