* how to run dpdk app with valgrind
@ 2022-07-05 11:10 Balakrishnan K
From: Balakrishnan K @ 2022-07-05 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,
    Is there any documents available to run the dpdk application with valgrind.
I am trying to run our application with dpdk getting warning and the process is not starting up.

IPv4 IP : 1.1.1.1
IPv6 IP : 0::0
EAL: Detected 80 lcore(s)
EAL: Detected 2 NUMA nodes
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'PA'
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: WARNING! Base virtual address hint (0xa80001000 != 0x1040000000) not respected!
EAL:    This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes

Could you please help on this?

Regards,
Bala

* RE: how to run dpdk app with valgrind
@ 2022-07-05 13:22 ` Pathak, Pravin
From: Pathak, Pravin @ 2022-07-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balakrishnan K, users

Is randomization turned off ?

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space

Pravin

@ 2022-07-05 16:04 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-07-05 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balakrishnan K; +Cc: users

On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 11:10:37 +0000
Balakrishnan K <Balakrishnan.K1@tatacommunications.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Is there any documents available to run the dpdk application with valgrind.
> I am trying to run our application with dpdk getting warning and the process is not starting up.
>

> IPv4 IP : 1.1.1.1
> IPv6 IP : 0::0
> EAL: Detected 80 lcore(s)
> EAL: Detected 2 NUMA nodes
> EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
> EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'PA'
> EAL: Probing VFIO support...
> EAL: WARNING! Base virtual address hint (0xa80001000 != 0x1040000000) not respected!
> EAL:    This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes
>
> Could you please help on this?
>
> Regards,
> Bala

What architecture (x86)? What DPDK version? What version of valgrind?
Are you using VFIO, igb_uio or other method of hardware access?

Valgrind works for us on Arm64 and VFIO.

* RE: how to run dpdk app with valgrind
@ 2022-07-06  5:54   ` Balakrishnan K
From: Balakrishnan K @ 2022-07-06  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pathak, Pravin, users

Hi Pravin,
   Randomization is not turned off.
cat /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
2

Do I need to turn off the randomization?

Regards,
Bala

@ 2022-07-06  6:00   ` Balakrishnan K
From: Balakrishnan K @ 2022-07-06  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Hi Stephen,
    Please find the response below.
What architecture (x86)?

Architecture is x86.

What DPDK version?

DPDK version 20.11

 What version of valgrind?
valgrind-3.19.0

Are you using VFIO, igb_uio or other method of hardware access?

Igbuio

Regards,
Bala

@ 2022-07-06  7:11     ` Balakrishnan K
From: Balakrishnan K @ 2022-07-06  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Hi Stephen,
   Checked the valgrind log file during dpdk app start up.

The below warning is seen in logs.  Any tunning is need for large range allocation while using dpdk app with valgrind.
Because without valgrind application is running smoothly.
Any suggestion would be helpful .
==259414== Warning: set address range perms: large range [0x140000000, 0x980000000) (noaccess)
==259414== Warning: set address range perms: large range [0x940000000, 0x980000000) (noaccess)
==259414== Warning: set address range perms: large range [0x100b41b000, 0x184b41b000) (noaccess)

@ 2022-07-06 11:45     ` Pathak, Pravin
From: Pathak, Pravin @ 2022-07-06 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balakrishnan K, users

DPDK documentation says so for multi-process case.

  *   The multi-process feature requires that the exact same hugepage memory mappings be present in all applications. The Linux security feature - Address-Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) can interfere with this mapping, so it may be necessary to disable this feature in order to reliably run multi-process applications.

@ 2022-07-06 12:04       ` Balakrishnan K
From: Balakrishnan K @ 2022-07-06 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pathak, Pravin, users

Hi Pravin,
     Thanks for the response.
I have changed the value to 0.
cat /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
0

Tried running dpdk sample application (helloworld ) before running my application but still same warning is reported.
The sample application is not starting up.
When I tired with valgrind from https://github.com/bisdn/valgrind-hugepages  application getting crashed.

Am I missing any other configuration?

/root/valgrind-3.19.0/val_install/bin/valgrind --soname-synonyms=somalloc=librte_malloc.so* --leak-check=full --log-file=valgrind-out.txt  ./dpdk-helloworld -l 0-3 -n 4
EAL: Detected 80 lcore(s)
EAL: Detected 2 NUMA nodes
EAL: Detected static linkage of DPDK