From: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@amd.com>
To: Maryam Tahhan <mtahhan@redhat.com>,
	stephen@networkplumber.org, lihuisong@huawei.com,
	fengchengwen@huawei.com, liuyonglong@huawei.com,
	david.marchand@redhat.com
Cc: dev@dpdk.org, Ciara Loftus <ciara.loftus@intel.com>,
	Shibin Koikkara Reeny <shibin.koikkara.reeny@intel.com>,
	Kevin Traynor <ktraynor@redhat.com>,
	Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>
Subject: Re: [v7 1/1] net/af_xdp: fix multi interface support for K8s
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:21:23 +0000	[thread overview]

On 1/11/2024 12:21 PM, Maryam Tahhan wrote:
> On 11/01/2024 11:35, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
>> Devarg is user interface, changing it impacts the user.
>>
>> Assume that user of '22.11.3' using 'use_cni' dev_arg, it will be broken
>> when user upgrades DPDK to '22.11.4', which is not expected.
>>
>> dev_arg is not API/ABI but as it impacts the user, it is in the gray
>> area to backport to the LTS release.
> Fair enough
>> Current patch doesn't have Fixes tag or stable tag, so it doesn't
>> request to be backported to LTS release. I took this as an improvement,
>> more than a fix.
>
> This was overlooked by me apologies. It's been a while since I've
> contributed to DPDK and I must've missed this detail in the contribution
> guide.
>> As far as I understand existing code (that use 'use_cni' dev_arg)
>> supports only single netdev, this patch adds support for multiple netdevs.
>
> The use_cni implementation will no longer work with the AF_XDP DP as the
> use_cni was originally implemented as it has hard coded what's now an
> incorrect path for the UDS.
>
>> So what do you think keep LTS with 'use_cni' dev_arg, is there a
>> requirement to update LTS release?
>> If so, can it be an option to keep 'use_cni' for backward compatibility
>> but add only add 'uds_path' and remove 'use_cni' in next LTS?
>

> Yeah we can go back to the version of the patch that had the 'use_cni'
> flag that was used in combination with the path argument. We can add
> better documentation re the "use_cni" misnomer... What we can then do is
> if no path argument is set by the user assume their intent and and
> generate the path internally in the AF_XDP PMD (which was suggested by
> Shibin at some stage). That way there should be no surprises to the End
> User.

Ack, this keeps backward compatibility,

BUT if 'use_cni' is already broken in v23.11 (that is what I understand
from your above comment), means there is no user of it in LTS, and we
can be more pragmatic and replace the dev_args, by backporting this
patch, assuming LTS maintainer is also OK with it.