* [dpdk-dev] rc1 / call for review
@ 2014-09-29 20:23 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-09-29 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

There is a new tag: 1.8.0-rc1. It's not really a release candidate,
it's a first step toward the new release including:
	- mbuf rework
	- logs rework
	- some eal cleanups
	- extended statistics
	- fixes for i211 and ixgbe
	- removal of rte_snprintf and RTE_PCI_DRV_MULTIPLE

In the next weeks, the features which are already sent must be properly
reviewed, tested and integrated in this coming new release.
Having more eyes to look at the discussed patches would be very helpful.

Thanks everyone
--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rc1 / call for review
@ 2014-09-29 21:33 ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-09-29 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:23:58PM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 	- mbuf rework
> 	- logs rework
> 	- some eal cleanups

Hi Thomas,

I was curious, did we happen to know if any of these three changes affected
the external API's much?

It would help us get some idea what to test and where to look, since mbuf,
logs, and eal are probably the three most popular parts of DPDK for us app
hackers to interact with regularly.

Thanks,
Matthew.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rc1 / call for review
@ 2014-09-30  4:52   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-09-30  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

2014-09-29 14:33, Matthew Hall:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:23:58PM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > 	- mbuf rework
> > 	- logs rework
> > 	- some eal cleanups
>
> I was curious, did we happen to know if any of these three changes affected
> the external API's much?
>
> It would help us get some idea what to test and where to look, since mbuf,
> logs, and eal are probably the three most popular parts of DPDK for us app
> hackers to interact with regularly.

You're right.
During integration time, app hackers should be able to check the git history
for these API changes.
When it will be officially released, there will be some notes in the
documentation to help porting applications.

--

@ 2014-09-30  5:29     ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2014-09-30  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 06:52:45AM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> You're right.
> During integration time, app hackers should be able to check the git history
> for these API changes.
> When it will be officially released, there will be some notes in the
> documentation to help porting applications.

It works for commercial apps where we have 40 hrs / week to look. But for my
open source app I guess I just have to do step 1) compile, step 2) pray that
it still works. ;)

Matthew.