* [dpdk-dev] [opnfv-tech-discuss][apex][ovsnfv]Problem showed up with OVS/DPDK with Cisco VIC adapter
@ 2016-10-18 20:35 Thomas F Herbert
From: Thomas F Herbert @ 2016-10-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Keith Burns, Edward Warnicke, opnfv-tech-discuss

All:

This is not necessarily related to VPP but rather to OVS/DPDK.

In OPNFV we found the following problem when using UCS NIC.

The UCS fabric seems to set a VLAN tag on untagged packets.

Any thoughts from DPDK and VPP folks would be appreciated.

http://dpdk.org/doc/guides-16.07/nics/enic.html

https://jira.opnfv.org/browse/APEX-333

It is currently deploying DPDK 16.04 and OVS 2.5.90

I could not find a user accessible setting to do this that would work.
The workaround for now we came up with is to set a flow in OVS to strip
the tag.

https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/23315/

Another solution is to set the nic to strip the vlan in rte eth code or
write a DPDK "app" to set the nic.

http://dpdk.org/doc/guides-16.07/nics/enic.html

--TFH

--
*Thomas F Herbert*
SDN Group

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [opnfv-tech-discuss] [apex][ovsnfv][fuel]Problem showed up with OVS/DPDK with Cisco VIC adapter
@ 2016-10-19 14:27 ` Tim Rozet
From: Tim Rozet @ 2016-10-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas F Herbert, Gregory Elkinbard, mskalski, fzhadaev
  Cc: dev, opnfv-tech-discuss, Edward Warnicke, Frank Brockners (fbrockne)

Fuel also supports the ovs dpdk scenario.

Greg, Michal, Fedor,
How do does Fuel get around this on the LF UCS hardware?

Tim Rozet
Red Hat SDN Team

@ 2016-10-19 15:11   ` Michal Skalski
From: Michal Skalski @ 2016-10-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Rozet, Thomas F Herbert
  Cc: Gregory Elkinbard, Fedor Zhadaev, dev,
	MichalSkalski <mskalski@mirantis.com>,
	yunhong.jiang@linux.intel.com
	<yunhong.jiang@linux.intel.com>,
	opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org, Edward Warnicke,
	Frank Brockners (fbrockne)

Hi,

Im looking at your fix now [1] as I understand it is only visible when we are using vxlan segmentation right?
Currently Fuel support dpdk only with vlan segmentation, and this is how we deploy on linux foundation pod, so we may not seen this problem yet.

[1]https://github.com/trozet/opnfv-tht/blob/stable/colorado/puppet/extraconfig/pre_deploy/compute/manifests/dpdk_dataplanes.pp#L151-L157

Michal

@ 2016-10-19 17:00     ` Tim Rozet
From: Tim Rozet @ 2016-10-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Skalski
  Cc: Thomas F Herbert, Gregory Elkinbard, Fedor Zhadaev, dev,
	MichalSkalski,
	yunhong.jiang@linux.intel.com
	<yunhong.jiang@linux.intel.com>,
	opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org, Edward Warnicke,
	Frank Brockners (fbrockne)

Right, makes sense.  Thanks Michal.

Tim Rozet
Red Hat SDN Team

Im looking at your fix now [1] as I understand it is only visible when we are using vxlan segmentation right?
Currently Fuel support dpdk only with vlan segmentation, and this is how we deploy on linux foundation pod, so we may not seen this problem yet.

[1]https://github.com/trozet/opnfv-tht/blob/stable/colorado/puppet/extraconfig/pre_deploy/compute/manifests/dpdk_dataplanes.pp#L151-L157

Michal
> On 19 Oct 2016, at 16:27, Tim Rozet <trozet@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Fuel also supports the ovs dpdk scenario.
>
> Greg, Michal, Fedor,
> How do does Fuel get around this on the LF UCS hardware?
>
> Tim Rozet
> Red Hat SDN Team

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [opnfv-tech-discuss][apex][ovsnfv]Problem showed up with OVS/DPDK with Cisco VIC adapter
@ 2016-10-20 18:49 ` John Daley (johndale)
From: John Daley (johndale) @ 2016-10-20 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas F Herbert, dev; +Cc: Keith Burns, Edward Warnicke, opnfv-tech-discuss

Hi,
Please see inline.
Thanks,
john

In a UCS fabric, all frames between the VIC and the Fabric Interconnect will be tagged. This is required to carry both VLAN information and, being a converged adapter supporting both Ethernet and FCoE, traffic class. For non-UCS fabric deployments, there is currently no way to turn off egress priority tagging on the VIC adapter. If a packet being sent from DPDK to the enic PMD is priority tagged (VLAN=0) or has no VLAN tag, the default VLAN tag (as set up in CIMC/UCSM manager) will be inserted.  This should only be an issue with C-series UCS servers connected point to point or through a switch that can't cope with priority tags. Is that the case here?