* [dpdk-dev] Promiscuous Mode Feature
@ 2020-06-24 16:18 David Liu
From: David Liu @ 2020-06-24 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, dts
  Cc: Lincoln Lavoie, David Liu, David Marchand, Thomas Monjalon,
	Ferruh Yigit, Andrew Rybchenko, Ori Kam, Ciara Power,
	Ivan Ilchenko, Hemant Agrawal, Stephen Hemminger,
	Raslan Darawsheh

Hi all,

From my understanding, the promiscuous mode feature will verify the
functionality of promiscuous mode when it is on or off. The plan for
testing this feature is as follows:

Sending over a packet to verify the ports are working properly before any
testing. First to verify the promiscuous mode is enabled. With the
promiscuous being enabled, send over a packet and check if the packet will
be received when sending it to a different destination mac address than the
host/card. Then disable the promiscuous mode. The packet will only be
received if the mac address is the destination mac address. Otherwise, the
test case will be considered a failure.

Please let me know if there is anything I need to add on or if there are
certain cases I need to be aware of.

Thanks,
David Liu
UNH Interoperability Lab

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Promiscuous Mode Feature
@ 2020-06-24 20:03 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-06-24 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Liu
  Cc: dev, dts, Lincoln Lavoie, David Marchand, Ferruh Yigit,
	Andrew Rybchenko, Ori Kam, Ciara Power, Ivan Ilchenko,
	Hemant Agrawal, Stephen Hemminger, Raslan Darawsheh,
	j.hendergart, grive

Hi,

A bit of context: David is going to implement a test in DTS
for promiscuous mode:
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/features.html#promiscuous-mode

24/06/2020 18:18, David Liu:
> Hi all,
>
> From my understanding, the promiscuous mode feature will verify the
> functionality of promiscuous mode when it is on or off.

You need to check in which condition the promiscuous mode can be enabled.
Some contexts may forbid this mode. untrusted VF? flow isolation mode?

> The plan for testing this feature is as follows:
>
> Sending over a packet to verify the ports are working properly before any
> testing. First to verify the promiscuous mode is enabled. With the
> promiscuous being enabled, send over a packet and check if the packet will
> be received when sending it to a different destination mac address than the
> host/card. Then disable the promiscuous mode. The packet will only be
> received if the mac address is the destination mac address. Otherwise, the
> test case will be considered a failure.

I assume you will test positive and negative in both on/off cases.

> Please let me know if there is anything I need to add on or if there are
> certain cases I need to be aware of.

Anyone else has ideas about what to test and corner cases?

@ 2020-06-25 14:05   ` Lincoln Lavoie
From: Lincoln Lavoie @ 2020-06-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: David Liu, dev, dts, David Marchand, Ferruh Yigit,
	Andrew Rybchenko, Ori Kam, Ciara Power, Ivan Ilchenko,
	Hemant Agrawal, Stephen Hemminger, Raslan Darawsheh,
	James Hendergart, grive

Small bit of context here, the described case already exists in the DTS
Dynamic Config tests.  So, would the other corner cases and "modes" justify
additional test case development, etc.

--
*Lincoln Lavoie*
Senior Engineer, Broadband Technologies

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Promiscuous Mode Feature
@ 2020-06-25 20:23   ` Ajit Khaparde
From: Ajit Khaparde @ 2020-06-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: David Liu, dpdk-dev, dts, Lincoln Lavoie, David Marchand,
	Ferruh Yigit, Andrew Rybchenko, Ori Kam, Ciara Power,
	Ivan Ilchenko, Hemant Agrawal, Stephen Hemminger,
	Raslan Darawsheh, j.hendergart, grive

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:03 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A bit of context: David is going to implement a test in DTS
> for promiscuous mode:
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/features.html#promiscuous-mode
>
> 24/06/2020 18:18, David Liu:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > From my understanding, the promiscuous mode feature will verify the
> > functionality of promiscuous mode when it is on or off.
>
> You need to check in which condition the promiscuous mode can be enabled.
> Some contexts may forbid this mode. untrusted VF? flow isolation mode?

But there is no way other than some logs to indicate these.
Maybe we should add some state in port info to indicate this?

@ 2020-06-29 19:58     ` David Liu
From: David Liu @ 2020-06-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajit Khaparde
  Cc: Thomas Monjalon, dpdk-dev, dts, Lincoln Lavoie, David Marchand,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Ajit Khaparde <ajit.khaparde@broadcom.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:03 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A bit of context: David is going to implement a test in DTS
>> for promiscuous mode:
>> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/features.html#promiscuous-mode
>>
>> 24/06/2020 18:18, David Liu:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > From my understanding, the promiscuous mode feature will verify the
>> > functionality of promiscuous mode when it is on or off.
>>
>> You need to check in which condition the promiscuous mode can be enabled.
>> Some contexts may forbid this mode. untrusted VF? flow isolation mode?
>>
> But there is no way other than some logs to indicate these.
> Maybe we should add some state in port info to indicate this?

 From what I know, I not sure if that is possible to add these states into
the test case?
 But let me know what you think.

>> > The plan for testing this feature is as follows:
>> >
>> > Sending over a packet to verify the ports are working properly before
>> any
>> > testing. First to verify the promiscuous mode is enabled. With the
>> > promiscuous being enabled, send over a packet and check if the packet
>> will
>> > be received when sending it to a different destination mac address than
>> the
>> > host/card. Then disable the promiscuous mode. The packet will only be
>> > received if the mac address is the destination mac address. Otherwise,
>> the
>> > test case will be considered a failure.
>>
>> I assume you will test positive and negative in both on/off cases.
>>
>> Yes, in the test case. It covered sending a packet with same/different
destination mac address
when promiscuous is on/off.