* [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build
@ 2018-09-05 11:52 Shahaf Shuler
From: Shahaf Shuler @ 2018-09-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson, Luca Boccassi; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, dev

Hi Bruce,

Playing w/ meson build I got to know that the binary name for testpmd got changed to dpdk-testpmd.

Not sure if it was discussed or not before, but such change will affect all the automation used to run testpmd w/ the old build system.

What is the reason for the change in the name?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build
@ 2018-09-07 14:13 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-09-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahaf Shuler; +Cc: Luca Boccassi, Thomas Monjalon, dev

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 11:52:10AM +0000, Shahaf Shuler wrote:
>    Hi Bruce,
>

>    Playing w/ meson build I got to know that the binary name for testpmd
>    got changed to dpdk-testpmd.
>

>    Not sure if it was discussed or not before, but such change will affect
>    all the automation used to run testpmd w/ the old build system.
>

>    What is the reason for the change in the name?

The primary driver was that the autotest binary could not be called "test"
any more, since that is a reserved name. When appending a dpdk prefix to
the test binary, I felt for consistency that other binaries should have a
dpdk prefix too, to indicate that they come from DPDK. If this is a
problem, we can remove the prefix from the binaries easily enough.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build
@ 2018-09-07 15:24   ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-09-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahaf Shuler; +Cc: Luca Boccassi, Thomas Monjalon, dev

On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 03:13:43PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 11:52:10AM +0000, Shahaf Shuler wrote:
> >    Hi Bruce,
> >

> >    Playing w/ meson build I got to know that the binary name for testpmd
> >    got changed to dpdk-testpmd.
> >

> >    Not sure if it was discussed or not before, but such change will affect
> >    all the automation used to run testpmd w/ the old build system.
> >

> >    What is the reason for the change in the name?
>
> The primary driver was that the autotest binary could not be called "test"
> any more, since that is a reserved name. When appending a dpdk prefix to
> the test binary, I felt for consistency that other binaries should have a
> dpdk prefix too, to indicate that they come from DPDK. If this is a
> problem, we can remove the prefix from the binaries easily enough.

Also to point out that when building with meson the scripting is going to
have to change anyway, right. The actual build commands are different, the
configuration commands are different, and the directories the resulting
binaries are placed in are different too. Therefore, I'd like to keep the
name prefixes if possible, since for automated tooling on DPDK there are
going to have to be lots of other changes anyway.

For packagers, the rename I understand could be problematic, but that could
probably be solved by symlinks in the install phase.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build
@ 2018-09-12  6:21     ` Shahaf Shuler
From: Shahaf Shuler @ 2018-09-12  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner
  Cc: Luca Boccassi, Thomas Monjalon, dev

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:24 PM, Bruce Richardson:
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build
>
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 03:13:43PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 11:52:10AM +0000, Shahaf Shuler wrote:
> > >    Hi Bruce,
> > >

> > >    Playing w/ meson build I got to know that the binary name for testpmd
> > >    got changed to dpdk-testpmd.
> > >

> > >    Not sure if it was discussed or not before, but such change will affect
> > >    all the automation used to run testpmd w/ the old build system.
> > >

> > >    What is the reason for the change in the name?
> >
> > The primary driver was that the autotest binary could not be called "test"
> > any more, since that is a reserved name. When appending a dpdk prefix
> > to the test binary, I felt for consistency that other binaries should
> > have a dpdk prefix too, to indicate that they come from DPDK. If this
> > is a problem, we can remove the prefix from the binaries easily enough.
> >
> Also to point out that when building with meson the scripting is going to have
> to change anyway, right. The actual build commands are different, the
> configuration commands are different, and the directories the resulting
> binaries are placed in are different too. Therefore, I'd like to keep the name
> prefixes if possible, since for automated tooling on DPDK there are going to
> have to be lots of other changes anyway.
>
> For packagers, the rename I understand could be problematic, but that could
> probably be solved by symlinks in the install phase.

I am fine w/ the testpmd -> dpdk-testpmd change as it is more correct to put it explicitly under the dpdk namespace.
I was raising this point because I am not sure it was explicitly mentioned on the release notes and was hoping to get feedback also from the people who build dpdk for distro

Luca/Marcelo - what do you think?

@ 2018-09-12  9:30       ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-09-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shahaf Shuler
  Cc: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner, Luca Boccassi, Thomas Monjalon, dev

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 06:21:06AM +0000, Shahaf Shuler wrote:
> Friday, September 7, 2018 6:24 PM, Bruce Richardson:
> > Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build

> > > The primary driver was that the autotest binary could not be called "test"
> > > any more, since that is a reserved name. When appending a dpdk prefix
> > > to the test binary, I felt for consistency that other binaries should
> > > have a dpdk prefix too, to indicate that they come from DPDK. If this
> > > is a problem, we can remove the prefix from the binaries easily enough.
> > >
> > Also to point out that when building with meson the scripting is going to have
> > to change anyway, right. The actual build commands are different, the
> > configuration commands are different, and the directories the resulting
> > binaries are placed in are different too. Therefore, I'd like to keep the name
> > prefixes if possible, since for automated tooling on DPDK there are going to
> > have to be lots of other changes anyway.
> >
> > For packagers, the rename I understand could be problematic, but that could
> > probably be solved by symlinks in the install phase.
>
> I am fine w/ the testpmd -> dpdk-testpmd change as it is more correct to put it explicitly under the dpdk namespace.
> I was raising this point because I am not sure it was explicitly mentioned on the release notes and was hoping to get feedback also from the people who build dpdk for distro

Agreed, I should have got wider feedback for this change at the time, but
it's not to late to fix if it is problematic, I think. I too like having
the namespacing, though.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build
@ 2018-09-12  9:34         ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2018-09-12  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson, Shahaf Shuler
  Cc: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner, Thomas Monjalon, dev, christian.ehrhardt

On Wed, 2018-09-12 at 10:30 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 06:21:06AM +0000, Shahaf Shuler wrote:
> > Friday, September 7, 2018 6:24 PM, Bruce Richardson:
> > > Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Change in binary name w/ meson build

> > > Also to point out that when building with meson the scripting is
> > > going to have
> > > to change anyway, right. The actual build commands are different,
> > > the
> > > configuration commands are different, and the directories the
> > > resulting
> > > binaries are placed in are different too. Therefore, I'd like to
> > > keep the name
> > > prefixes if possible, since for automated tooling on DPDK there
> > > are going to
> > > have to be lots of other changes anyway.
> > >
> > > For packagers, the rename I understand could be problematic, but
> > > that could
> > > probably be solved by symlinks in the install phase.
> >
> > I am fine w/ the testpmd -> dpdk-testpmd change as it is more
> > correct to put it explicitly under the dpdk namespace.
> > I was raising this point because I am not sure it was explicitly
> > mentioned on the release notes and was hoping to get feedback also
> > from the people who build dpdk for distro
> >

> Agreed, I should have got wider feedback for this change at the time,
> but
> it's not to late to fix if it is problematic, I think. I too like
> having
> the namespacing, though.
>
> /Bruce

I can ship backward-compatibility symlinks easily for binary programs
in Debian/Ubuntu (unlike for libraries where it's a bit more
difficult), so personally I'm OK with namespacing things.

Christian?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi